SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Science Lesson (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/363272-science-lesson.html)

EndGameNYC 03-27-2015 10:45 PM

Science Lesson

I sometimes wonder at comments or threads that inquire as to "why we invented alcohol," or "Who invented alcohol?," or "what purpose" alcohol serves in the first place.

I've rarely if ever responded to those threads, in part because the answers to those questions greatly supersede the scope of the questions asked. The answers involve a working knowledge of -- or a willingness to learn or appreciate -- the basics of evolutionary science, human history, zoology, and both general history and general science.

This might help:

Editor's Note: The following is the introduction to the March 2015 issue of Scientific American Classics: Intoxicating: The Science of Alcohol

Alcohol: An Astonishing Molecule - Scientific American

Dee74 03-27-2015 10:51 PM

Interesting article EndGame.

As I understand things now, alcohol is not my problem, alcoholism is...

but I gotta say I remember being pretty angry at alcohol when I first got here.
I've peeled back a few layers of the onion since then :)

D

EndGameNYC 03-27-2015 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5286556)
Interesting article EndGame.

As I understand things now, alcohol is not my problem, alcoholism is...

but I gotta say I remember being pretty angry at alcohol when I first got here.
I've peeled back a few layers of the onion since then :)

D

Yes, I agree.

There was an earlier thread about alcohol being "everywhere," with some suggestion that people were keeping track of how much others were drinking. I agree with your comments on that thread as well...a thread that I'm sure you've seen thousands of times since you've been here.

I'm now pretty much indifferent to alcohol. As is true of many people, my priorities have changed over the course of my sobriety, and that's a good thing. Now that I type this, maybe that's the answer to another thread I'm sure you've seen thousands of times as well, "How do you know when you're really sober?"

thomas11 03-28-2015 12:44 AM

alcohol is part of culture, all cultures, therefore it is in our blood. IMO

Dee74 03-28-2015 12:45 AM

Hmmm. No, sorry, not buying that.

If you really believe that, you're making a hard road to hoe for yourself Jeff.

D

thomas11 03-28-2015 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5286659)
Hmmm. No, sorry, not buying that.

If you really believe that, you're making a hard road to hoe for yourself Jeff.

D

Thanks Dee,I cannot disagree with you, but alcohol is woven into our lives. Crap, look at all the Tv shows where they go shopping for underwear and are handed a glass of champagne, really? Oh and if you race cars on Sunday, its beer commercials all day long. its ridiculous.

Dee74 03-28-2015 12:57 AM

'Woven into our lives' is a statement I can agree with a lot more than 'it's in our blood', Jeff :)

We can 'unweave' ourselves :)
D

thomas11 03-28-2015 01:01 AM

Dee you are long time sober and think much more clearly than A guy like me. Therefore, I trust your judgement.

Tang 03-28-2015 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC (Post 5286572)

Yes, I agree.

There was an earlier thread about alcohol being "everywhere," with some suggestion that people were keeping track of how much others were drinking. I agree with your comments on that thread as well...a thread that I'm sure you've seen thousands of times since you've been here.

I'm now pretty much indifferent to alcohol. As is true of many people, my priorities have changed over the course of my sobriety, and that's a good thing. Now that I type this, maybe that's the answer to another thread I'm sure you've seen thousands of times as well, "How do you know when you're really sober?"

Personally, struggling with addiction I find it frustrating that I'm offered alcohol almost daily by someone. It makes it that much harder to stop for me. Now maybe it's the job I have or the subculture I live in, but this is a very real experience for me. Do I blame others for my addiction, no. However, I can express being frustrated that it is in my face daily, can't I?

Dee74 03-28-2015 01:03 AM

Dee you are long time sober and think much more clearly than A guy like me. Therefore, I trust your judgement.
Thanks, but y'know it's ok to disagree with me too, Jeff ;)

However, I can express being frustrated that it is in my face daily, can't I?
I don't think anyone's trying to stop you Tang :)

I had to get to a point when I fully accepted drinking was bad for me.
Accepting an alcoholic drink would be as unwise & self destructive as drinking Drano for me now.

You have to believe in at least the possibility you'll feel the same way one day :)

D

Tang 03-28-2015 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5286682)
Thanks, but y'know it's ok to disagree with me too, Jeff ;)

I don't think anyone's trying to stop you Tang :)

I had to get to a point when I fully accepted drinking was bad for me.
Accepting an alcoholic drink would be as unwise & self destructive as drinking Drano for me now.

You have to believe in at least the possibility you'll feel the same way one day :)

D

That's what I mean. In order to get enough mental fortitude to stay stopped, I feel it necessary for me to demonize alcohol. Otherwise my AV tells me it's OK to drink because everyone around me does.

Soberwolf 03-28-2015 07:36 AM

Great thread Thanks Endgame

EndGameNYC 03-28-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tang (Post 5286688)
That's what I mean. In order to get enough mental fortitude to stay stopped, I feel it necessary for me to demonize alcohol. Otherwise my AV tells me it's OK to drink because everyone around me does.

If that's part of your process, then that's part of your process. It's perfectly natural to "demonize" alcohol, or anything else that causes so much pain and suffering, when we first rid ourselves of the offending substance, people, or places. In my experience, anger is present following any major loss, and yes, expressing it does seem to lend itself to getting to a better place in our lives.

I did comment earlier that it took time and a great deal of work for me to become indifferent to alcohol. I can't know that this happens with everyone else, but I believe that the more we work on our sobriety, particularly early on, the better the chances to arrive at indifference.

Even were I capable of doing so, I have no motivation to censor anyone's frustrations.