Notices

Arguing with people above all else=tiring

Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Arguing with people above all else=tiring

Hey, so just because I don't really know what else to do, I decided to post here again.

So, here's my current situation: in the past few days, since I dropped out of college, I've been spending waaay too much time discussing it with my relatives... and by discussing, I mean: full-blown arguing about it, non-stop. When we're not arguing, we spent most of the time ignoring one another: real healthy.

They just simply refuse to believe something's wrong with me. And of course they're standing strong, thanks to the great back-up of "dr. knows-everything" and "psychologist: it's-definitely-depression". My parents claim I'm just lazy and have now found the perfect excuse to stop studying.

Seriously, I can't talk to ANYBODY and it frustrates me beyond belief. I thought I'd at least get more understanding out of my psychologist, but she's like: it's due to stress, anxiety... And tells me off for coming to this forum, because people lie there, all the time. I'm like: WHAT?!

If you've had serious problems with addiction long enough to come to this forum, then why on EARTH would you lie?! So... what did we learn in yesterday's session: A) Do not seek support, from people who know what you're talking about and therefore might be able to actually give you useful advice. No, just simmer in the black pool of trouble yourself. B) There is nothing wrong with your head, you're just "imagining" things.

Yup, I'm totally imagining that I forget stuff and can hardly pick up new info, cause, you know, that's what I do once in a while, just for the fun of it.

Then she has me even more worried, than I already was, because I said: " It's probably not dementia, though", to which she countered: do you have trouble doing different stuff at once, like when you're cooking? Me: " Uhm... sometimes." She:" Cause that's usually the onset of dementia, but hey... it may be due to stress, so don't worry. Okay, pay up, bye!"

Oh, how wonderful I felt after leaving that practice... After that little visit, I can honestly say I'm doing worse than before, which says a lot.

And I don't know why I'm even typing this, since I have no idea what I'm hoping to reach... A friendly chat perhaps. I've been missing those at home. So yeah, I'm ending my rant here. Thanks for reading and responding, in advance.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi ipaid, sorry you are having to deal with family arguments,

without knowing the history and family dynamics over the past years I can only hope that things settle and you all come to an agreement on the situation.

as for you 'psychologist', is it possible to find another one? This person doesn't sound like a professional to me. But I'm not a professional myself, what do I know.

Hang in there.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Paid sorry your having arguments at home bud im with L on looking for a new psychologist

Have you got a sober plan
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're having family issues. You know you're doing the right thing. It might be best to step out of the fuss for awhile until you feel better. There's no need to put yourself into negative situations in early recovery.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Ipaidwithmylife
Arguments with family/loved ones are stressful in of themselves so it's no surprise you are feeling wound up.

Not knowing your history it's difficult to make suggestions but your psychologist does not, on the face of it, seem to be addressing your issues. Sometimes when I've seen medical professionals I have later thought "damp I didn't say ....." so now I tend to write down what I need to discuss rather than what my doctor wants to talk about

Sorry I can't be of more practical help
Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Should say "damn" not damp
Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Court jester

We learn at a very early age the concept of seeking approval from others, especially family. Truth is, the only approval you need is your own. If you feel that your therapist does not "get" you and what you are going through, find a new one. Ultimately, this is YOUR journey and your happiness should not be contingent on the opinion of others.

If I could recommend a book: "Pulling Your Own Strings" by Wayne Dyer.