Notices

A differnt view.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EndGame

A differnt view.

Meant to post this here instead of the Alcoholism forum.

The author is a philosopher, and he travels across some older ground, but also provides something(s) to think about.

The Fight Against Addiction: Is Love All You Need? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR
Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you EndGame
Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And why in the world would the prison complex here in the States use "solitary confinement" as an accepted means of punishment? Sorry if this seems off-topic, but believe it relates to the fact that so many prisoners here, whether they have addiction and/or mental health issues, come out of (or not) prison with an inability to deal with life.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think he makes an important point, and provides an explanation for why AA, SR, and other support groups are so valuable.

I know I chose to isolate myself and drink, in part, because I felt at odds with many of the people around me. Their world views felt wrong for me, and their criticisms made me anxious. A big part of my recovery has involved a complete change of who I work and socialize with. I needed to make major life changes to get my real life in sync with who I am spiritually. Coping mechanisms just weren't cutting it for me.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
And why in the world would the prison complex here in the States use "solitary confinement" as an accepted means of punishment? Sorry if this seems off-topic, but believe it relates to the fact that so many prisoners here, whether they have addiction and/or mental health issues, come out of (or not) prison with an inability to deal with life.
I think your point is relevant given the number of inmates with addiction issues who are only made worse by prison conditions.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the way the U.S. deals with addiction is appalling compared to many countries. Thank you for the article it was very interesting.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a response to points raised in this article

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gton-post.html

I think you need to read both to get the full context.

D
Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had all the love you could ever want and still developed a problem. Who knows why we become addicted I think the focus should be on how addiction is treated.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks End game!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

I think for some addicts, myself included, disconnectedness is both a contributing cause and a consequence of the problem with substance use. I chose to abuse drugs & alcohol because I was a disconnecting-type and it was a ready response to stress to try to disconnect further. Then the state of being a substance abuser doesn't tend to be one in which you build strong new bonds LOL. And the cycle reinforces itself.

It's interesting about physical/chemical dependence vs. psychological addiction. I was physically dependent on a cocktail of drugs a long time ago -- mainly speed. I wasn't psychologically hooked, wasn't even aware I was dependent until I withdrew, and other than initial withdrawals which lasted quite a while, I didn't have much trouble staying off. I was both physically dependent and psychologically hooked on alcohol, & it's been much harder to quit.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Not exactly sure what he is advocating other than some sort of Kumbayah therapy. But I guess that's one reason it's great to be a philosopher. You can take pot shots without having to offer any practical and testable solution.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Solitary confinement is not a punishment for offenses outside of prison walls except for extremely dangerous offenders. It is is as a punishment inside prison because without it there would be no way to punish inmates with long sentences for committing more violent acts inside. If you have a prisoner with a life sentence, you need to have a punishment that will give them a reason not to attack the guards or murder another inmate.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Not exactly sure what he is advocating other than some sort of Kumbayah therapy. But I guess that's one reason it's great to be a philosopher. You can take pot shots without having to offer any practical and testable solution.
Indeed. You don't have to be a philosopher to do that.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

^5 EndGame.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Okay, this thread may already be ancient history, but for one article:The abuse and overuse of solitary confinement with youth in America's prisons
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, and must clarify: I work with teens and young people. I take this stuff very much to heart, but do understand that others may have different opinions.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for the post Endgame.

Interesting article which "feels" worthy of merit. I don't think it is the complete answer and in fact I don't believe there is an all encompassing truth but neither do I think that "chemical hooks" are the whole story either

At one end of the spectrum you have an addiction like gambling where no outside chemicals are present so something would have to be synthesised within the brain itself. At the other end you have tobacco which would seem to be all chemical addiction as there is no reward or "high" - just the comfort that comes from feeding the craving.

It would indeed seem common sense to think that social isolation would increase your chances of becoming addicted

Just one downside unfortunately is the question of Johann Hari himself.

He has been found to have plagiarised other people's work and so his research/conclusions need to be treated with caution. It doesn't discredit anything he says but is worth bearing in mind