Notices

So darn stressed

Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So darn stressed

I can't even begin to keep up. Work and commitments are killing me. Can't build my body back up, with stress and fatigue tearing at it and no time for fitness.. Self time? What's that. No time to just relax and my guys are twisting with what I increasingly think might be IBS

Ahhh, the pendulum of life. For months I was exhausted and wracked with anxiety... Worried over my job future. Now that future is secure but the new work is so overwhelming I was don't know how I'll survive it.

There's not enough time.... I just wanna curl up and sleep until it slows down.

Incredibly I have no desire to drink... so there's that.

There's not
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there Freeowl sounds like you could use a nice rest bud
Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you can find a healthy way to distress, FreeOwl.

there seems to be an abundance of stress and anxiety going around.

Let's all take care of each other.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry. I hope you can find some balance in your life.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
This is easy to say not being in tour shoes: EASY DOES IT!

WE need to keep in mind what H.A.L.T. means for us.
It can be harmful for us to be: Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.

Just a reminder.

BE WELL
Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man. Hope it gets better soon. Have you spoken to your boss? Believe it or not sometimes they don't know you need help.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, speak to your boss and get all the rest you can when you can!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all.... It's a transitional time and also just a lot going on in life.

I know the pendulum will swing and I'll be OK but for now it's really draining me
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Balance is really important Owl.

There must be better ways to get through this that just bludgeoning your way through and hoping things get better?

D
Old 03-27-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tell me about it! I have no balance at all since taking this new job. I agree there must be a better way.... Just gotta find it.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today's life is truly hectic. Feels like a race that never ends. Whenever I have time of my own, I feel like sleeping.

Same as you, not something that makes me feel like drinking, just an endless pain type thing.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you best to take care of yourself. No job is worth harming yourself over.
I learned the hard way.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck I hope things settle down.
I'm in a similar boat.. I breathe into the belly and tell myself everything's going to be ok.. It usually is.
Free owl I'm working to Change how I react to long hours and work stress.. It's not perfect but at least I think there's a different way to handle it all..
Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find stress a good thing it keeps me motivated and focused and there is no better feeling than realizing wow everything I was stressing about is now sorted (until the next bit lol)
Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess I can kind of relate... But this has gotten to be the 'crap I am going to explode or die of a stroke and I am running myself into the ground' kind of stress.... I wake to it, fall into bed with it, dream of it.... Five weeks running now. I need to shift something. It's not sustainable.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Free, is that what everyone goes through in your position at work? Is there an end in sight to that work load/stress? I'm thinking it may be helpful to talk with your boss. I employ people and I always try attune myself to what they may be dealing with, checking in with everyone regularly, asking them do they need anything that would help them at work. Do you think your boss might be receptive to talking about what you need to make things better? You can't feel like you do for the duration of your employment with this company
Old 03-28-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I can't really say much to my boss.... He and all my peers seem to be living the same madness.

Every day is shoveling more sand. Several hundred emails a day, back to back conference calls all day too many crises to manage.... A culture of 'importance is being busy and overworked'.

It's equal parts just the way this job is, and being new. Also I am now a first line manager whereas previously I had First lines reporting to me.... So there are fewer people to delegate and work with....

And atop it all; I really don't like my career and never have. But I'm stuck. I do think that it will ease eventually.... My career has always been cyclical and the pending has always swung from mad chaos to easy cruising.... I feel like this is just another chaos period... But I am getting older, more weary of it.... And also in sobriety it seems to strike me harder.... Perhaps those years of blotting it out.. I never really took note of the negative impact this work has on me physically, emotionally and spiritual
Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi.

I say this jokingly but practical also. There are many people on this site who are bored, perhaps you can be a little grateful you’re not in that category.
In thinking about that I don’t know which situation is worse for an alcoholic.

BE WELL
Old 03-28-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. I say this jokingly but practical also. There are many people on this site who are bored, perhaps you can be a little grateful you’re not in that category. In thinking about that I don’t know which situation is worse for an alcoholic. BE WELL
yes.... Thank you. I AM grateful that I am employed, financially stable, not bored, not fearing for the loss of my job as I had been for 9 months previously.

Along with the gratitude is also exhaustion and fatigue and stress. So just as I need to express my gratitude, I need to allow myself space to acknowledge and share the struggles. For too many years I think I held that all in. I guess I just needed to share and try to unburden myself a little and Derek some support here in this community that understands what can happen to an alcoholic if he holds this stuff in....

thank you for your perspective. It's a good reminder of the positive side.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

Incredibly I have no desire to drink... so there's that.
Sorry to hear that you are going through rough times FreeOwl. Yes, life can truly be a burden at times. I hope that you will be able soon, to enjoy some relaxation time for your self. We all know that it is so important, yet at times so out of reach. Let us call on our Higher Power so as to help us get through this.
MM