Notices

day 10!! struggle

Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile day 10!! struggle

I've managed to stay sober 10 days now and even went out last night to some local bars full of people drinking and I stuck to mocktails. I was surprised at how well I managed and the natural high I got from pushing myself into a situation which I'd normally be really drunk in.
Any advice on coping when the weekend comes, always seems harder!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay busy, stay hydrated, and for me, I'd stay away from bars. I've done the same thing in the past, gone out before I was probably ready and even though I may not have drank the first or second time, eventually I wore down and had a drink. I believe that you are strong enough to handle it, but it seems an unnecessary risk this early on.

I like to have a to-do list ready for the weekend, of some chores, errands and fun stuff I want to do. It kind of keeps me on track and doesn't let me have any down time except the down time I WANT to have, where I sit and catch up on the shows I like or do my nails or something like that Maybe you could have a list of things you'd like to do this weekend ready?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I make sure I go to an AA meeting on Friday night to set me up for the weekend. (And another on Sunday night to set me up for the week).

Working on my gratitudes list and doing something that is helping others out is really good for keeping busy and not feeling sorry for yourself. (I find it's sometimes hard to bother doing stuff to help myself, but is easier to motivate myself to help others - perhaps they seem a bit more deserving of it haha).

I try to remember to stay in my daily meditation routine - i.e breakfast while reading AA Daily Reflection and then journaling about my thoughts on it before having coffee. I think about what might be challenging in that the day ahead and consider any exit-plans and strategies that might be necessary for social events. I have a list of chores and treats and try to mix them up a bit over the weekend.

(When I say 'treats' I mean 'simple pleasures' - watching music videos on you-tube; going for a walk into town and a coffee; meeting an old friend; reading a book; swim and spa at the gym with no workout first. Just stuff that make me feel happy).
Old 03-27-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi aimeeharri .

For me accepting that cravings were going to happen and are normal helped a lot. And if you can manage it, do something to mark 10 days of sobriety, thats fantastic!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Aimiee congrats on day 10 i think the temptation is too much at day 10 tbh and would favor hanging back and building sober muscles first for the weekends doing non drinking environments activities

Its not to say dont do them things in the future i think doing it with some sober time behind you will make you a lot better prepared

Really nice to meet you welcome to SR
Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Aimiee!!