Notices

My situation

Old 03-26-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My situation

I will be 8 months in on Saturday!
Life is a lot easier now a days, anxiety levels are down. But lately I been getting pressure to drink again from friends. Saying "it been long enough"
" you don't have a problem with alcohol"
And with the weather changing this is the last this I want to hear. Nice weather is definitely a trigger for me. I was planning on going on a camping trip next month, it's all about drinking and playing games. Which I was ok with, but now I'm already getting heat about drinking on the trip. Not sure what to do I guess I miss the trip, but what the hell! Why do I have to miss out? Not sure what I'm asking you, but if you have input on my situation I would love to hear all
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this mostly depends on you, and whether or not you believe you can fend off the peer pressure that will no doubt come. I've been on my share of camping trips, so know exactly what you mean.

Whatever you decide, hope it works out for you!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mytime when i stopped drinking i found out a lot of my 'friends' werent my friends at all they were doing similar things after me explicitly telling them i dont drink

The friends i held onto are the ones who respected it and respected me they were happy that i was happy

i let go of the rest & they didnt seem to care so ...

I don't think your missing out on a camping drinking trip in fact you could plan one with ppl who wont do what your current 'friends' are doing

Exellent work on your upcoming 8 month imo i wouldnt go but its up to you
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Troy, yea I can stay sober with the pressure but it isn't fun defending your self all day. I guess I'm just mad at my friends for doing this to me
Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it was me, I wouldn't go. I think it's wrong to disrespect your decision to stop drinking. It's one thing if they don't understand alcoholism, but it's something entirely different if they are pushing you/badgering you to drink. Why expose yourself to that? I think SoberWolf is right. This is a time for you to look at the people you are spending time with and deciding if they're truly friends.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I was in that situation I probably wouldn't go. I would rather do something else then feel that pressure. That feeling of missing out sucks but so do the consequences of our disease when we give in.. I think we all loose some friends but we find out who our true freinds are. Don't cave bud, you really don't want to start over. Play the tape on how it ends up.. Starts innocent enough then we are back in that miserable, desperate, nasty place again....
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you - I do a lot of outdoorsy stuff, and - in the past - many of those activities are defined by drinking. But what I've found is that many of the truly outdoorsy people drink very little...there's a big difference between the folks who drag cases of beer on a car camping adventure and the rugged athletic back-country folk who might include a little alcohol in their backpack for the end of the day, by the campfire. That latter group is not going to try to seduce you into drinking. They tend to be more health conscious, and the experience isn't defined by drinking for them.

So - don't give up camping, but maybe find other people to camp with!! I'm making a big effort to connect with the more committed outdoors folks before summer. I signed up for a kayak trip with people I know are very healthy in their lives, and will support my not drinking. I've found a few folks in AA who are interested in hiking and camping, and we're planning some adventures this summer.

If you do want to go with your drinking buddies, you'll have to consciously BE that other guy - the one who wakes up at 6 am and goes for a trail run, who drinks out of his big water bottle around the fire, the guy who doesn't drink because he doesn't WANT to. Even if you are struggling inside, wear the mask of the guy who chooses not to drink!! This is a far more powerful person to be, and will steady you for any potential conflict regarding your not drinking.

It sounds like these friends don't have your best interests in mind (and it also sounds like they might be very boring camping partners). Consider expanding your social group and finding people who camp, but don't drink heavily (or at all)... There are many!!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTime86 View Post
Thanks Troy, yea I can stay sober with the pressure but it isn't fun defending your self all day. I guess I'm just mad at my friends for doing this to me

Hi and good work on staying sober.
Personally I stay away from “friends” that encourage drinking. They may be nice good people but not for my sobriety, I got sober for me and my health.

I find I don’t have to defend myself if I feel I’m right. Nothing wrong with ending a conversation with NO THANKS.

There are some good suggestions above.

BE WELL