Notices

Rejuvenate yourself! Weekender Thread Mar 27 until...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Back home and kids are sleeping. EndGame and Della, . I'm sorry you are feeling melancholy. Both stories caused a lump in my throat.
That's very sweet.

I'm making and am going through some changes in my life, some of which I'm looking forward to. These include supporting and helping my sister through her now-ongoing illness, so the greeting cards I found hit me when I was most vulnerable.

There was a great segment on 60 Minutes tonight about treating cancer and tumors with a Polio virus that's modified to not cause Polio. Apparently tumors and other cancers come with a built-in cloaking device that shields them from the immune system. But they aren't cloaked for the Polio virus. When the virus is introduced, it attacks these cells on its own which then alerts the immune system that there is Polio present. In turn, the immune system then does all the heavy lifting, attacking what appears to be Polio, which is at the time in the process of displacing the cancerous cells.

It was truly an amazing watch.

http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/overtime/
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

I saw this on CNN the other day. They had a nurse with brain cancer who was told she had 2, months to live and she is doing great cancer free now she is a beautiful girl.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone

Not looking forward to this week but at least it's a short one

6:40am I'm going to jog to the canal and back then it's off to work. Oh well another day another dollar
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Some great sharing this weekend. Endgame... Della... Pouncer... All of you. Doing what it takes to live sober, make changes. Inspiring and wonderful to read about. If even just in the snippets of a post. Thank you.

Well well.... What have we here? A sober Monday on our hands? How will we use the learning of a sober weekend to turn things into a second and a third and.... I had to learn how to manage long stretches of time differently.

Excited to be going to work today. Had enough alone time.

Next weekend's thread start on Thursday morning EST. These threads have grown a lot over the last two weeks. Interesting.

I have a busy day... If we chat to 500 can someone please post that they have alerted a mod to flip the bus! If you post then multiple people won't all do the same thing.

Happy sober Monday everyone! I am grateful for today. Thank you!

K
Old 03-30-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Have a great week folks. See you all next weekend.

B
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Happy Monday!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Happy Monday! I'm glad I spent part of my weekend here and I'm glad you all posted and gave support. It's a marvelous thing.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Happy Monday! Those words go together much better now that we are all sober! Stay strong!

Next up, 3 day weekend for Easter!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

I have for days off for Easter so you guys will prolly be sick of me!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
There was a great segment on 60 Minutes tonight about treating cancer and tumors with a Polio virus that's modified to not cause Polio.
We watched it. It was awesome!

Have a great sober week everyone!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

I witnessed a horrible tragedy this morning. Fortunately being on the scene I was able to save those I could. But it was just too late for some.

The scene unfolds with a bowl full of cheerios. After adding a handful of blueberries I took the container of milk and proceeded to pour it into the bowl.

Not being fully awake, or just not paying attention, it was too late after a few ounces of what appeared to be liquified cottage cheese tumbled into my bowl of fruit and cereal. Rather throw a fit, I rescued the blueberries and rinsed them off - just ate em. Cheerios have been put to rest I'm afraid.

The good news - bacon is crackling on the stove as we speak And I had a raisin thomas english muffin as a consolation prize.

Gonna be quite a week here. Place is a mess. Still haven't determined whether or not I qualify for medical deduction on my taxes and I go on Thursday. I need to get a visa pronto cause I already purchased plane tix.
It's cold and dark with heavy clouds.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Bet your College Fridge was one hella 'Petri Dish' to behold, eh?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Checking in this morning. Teach today, so I need to re-review the lecture today, prof is having a study session at 5p for the final exam tomorrow, so I am going. I have to try to go over some more things for the final exam as well.

I saw the 60 minutes piece as well. Very interesting.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

Excited to be going to work today. Had enough alone time.

Happy sober Monday everyone! I am grateful for today. Thank you!

K
Good way to look at it, weasel. I had a very good and restful weekend. But it's time to get energized for another work week. Enough alone time! Work will be fun this week. (wishful thinking. ..)
Have a wonderful week, everyone! Life is good.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

"Enough alone time"?

Does not compute. I should have been Thoreau.

That polio/cancer story is fascinating. So the horrible virus of polio has a redeeming grace?

Redemption stories. I heart them.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Weasel – My apartment walls are thin too. There is a couple that lives upstairs and it can get loud! They are really nice, but I need a change. I'm moving at the end of April into a condo and there is an upstairs and downstairs. It'll be great cause no one up or below that I need to worry about.

LBrain – Sorry to hear about the morning tragedy! I had Multi-Grain Cheerios for breakfast and wish I had bacon like you.

Strategery – Have fun teaching today and good luck with your final exam tomorrow. You'll do great!

EndGameNYC – Sorry to hear about the Valentine's Day card that you found yesterday. I'm happy you're sober now and can remember things now!

BigSombrero – Hope you haven't come down with any flu symptoms today from your ladyfriend.

Pouncer – People are just nuts! Sorry that you and your son had to witness that in the restaurant.

Hope everyone has a good one and I'll see you later!

Last edited by twal; 03-30-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Brain, I had horrible visions of a certain scene in Minority Report when I read that. Gag. Glad the blueberries were saved.

Strat, good luck on your studying, teaching and exam. Hopefully the study session is worth while.

Twal, not having upstairs or downstairs neighbors will be great. You can jump around all you like. I hope the walls are well insulated.

HaF, I love your positive attitude! Work will be fun this week. I hope so. I'm jealous of the extended weekends that newpage and Della have. No long weekend for me.

We're so short staffed that I've been denied days off. The powers that be better figure it out because I'm not giving them 23 days vacation. We are no longer allowed to carry over more than 5 vacation days. Use them or lose them and I lost four days from last year.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

hope you are able to get some time off Rub!!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Thanks Della! It would be nice to have the time. Easter weekend. Don't know what the plans are yet.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Me either...getting my kids and parents to agree on a time is usually fun. Not