Notices

Rejuvenate yourself! Weekender Thread Mar 27 until...

Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Welcome LostLilly!!! to SR and to the weekender! We hang here every weekend so feel free to jump right in.

Remember though that if you need help right away that the main board has the eyes of everyone. This thread can move quick and we don't want anyone to go unanswered.

That's an important point to make...sometimes I miss pages of posts.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
Looking forward to a sober weekend with all my amazing friends here!

... Who's cookin'?
I had a spinach salad with baked chicken. I am glad to see you over here!

I went to the lake and walked a couple miles it is a gorgeous day!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Weasel. ..mine is an injury also. I was walking one morning last fall, watching a hawk in the sky, and tripped on a rock. I twisted my knee. Really dumb. Now I could kick myself!
I did the same thing a few years back, except it was a crack in the sidewalk that popped up right as I was walking by. After a few weeks of pain and limping, I tried acupuncture and it has not hurt since.

Sitting at the car place getting my oil changed. Free wifi and a big tv. I may take a stroll in a bit, but this is also an opportunity to catch up on SR.
I put chicken thighs, spaghetti sauce, penne and mozz in the crock on low before I left. Home made 'hamburger helper'.
Dog should be done at the groomer just after my car is finished, so then home for the rest of the day!
Hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Gorgeous day here, too. What am I doing inside, typing on this PC? I did walk to the library earlier (2 miles), but I need to get back out there.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Been a relaxing one so far, attended an ice hockey game yesterday after work, it was our last home game of the season, a playoff Quarter Final game, and it was a win, which was all the better.

This evening taking it easy, gonna get creative in the kitchen as is my favourite thing to do on my Saturday, not sure yet what the plan is though.

Currently having some green tea and checking out the SR threads!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

hello PK! I was just looking at photos and what's this? My sister-in-law at the hockey games at the sochi olympics. I wanted to go so bad to this but something happened. Would have had a free place to stay just 50 km up the road.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Yeah that would have been awesome Brain!!

Team GB both men and women teams got nowhere near qualifying for the Sochi Olympics, maybe next time!!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Checking in. I am working on my Big Plan today. It is time to move forward
Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Well...the thread is closing in on 300 posts already. This is a very good thing.

You guys and your gyms make me happy. Last time I belonged to a gym was a few years ago. I'd like to get back into weights. I've been doing mostly cardio but it gets old and doesn't do much for changing the body, really. It just feels good. Maybe I need to try to find a small gym. The big ones - too expensive.

Exercise really saves me, though. It is one of the best things for me - both spiritually and physically. It really beats back the anxiety and depression in a huge way.

If you are newly sober, I highly recommend a 30 minute brisk walk twice a day. Even once a day. Do some jumping jacks, pushups, toe-touches, lunges, squats. Anything physical that raises your heartrate will beat back anxiety. It works. Whenever I feel tense, I run in place. Then take a few deep breaths. You've heard the term "nervous energy"? Yeah, that is the thing to fight.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
!!! I meant Pork Stew!!! It was a little spicy and very rich. Cubes of pork that melted in an amazing broth.

Right now I am eating SPAM.
That is why I love you...you love good food and crap food as much as I do!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
I put chicken thighs, spaghetti sauce, penne and mozz in the crock on low before I left. Home made 'hamburger helper'.
That sounds easy enough! I will have to try that.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well...the thread is closing in on 300 posts already. This is a very good thing.

You guys and your gyms make me happy. Last time I belonged to a gym was a few years ago. I'd like to get back into weights. I've been doing mostly cardio but it gets old and doesn't do much for changing the body, really. It just feels good. Maybe I need to try to find a small gym. The big ones - too expensive.

Exercise really saves me, though. It is one of the best things for me - both spiritually and physically. It really beats back the anxiety and depression in a huge way.

If you are newly sober, I highly recommend a 30 minute brisk walk twice a day. Even once a day. Do some jumping jacks, pushups, toe-touches, lunges, squats. Anything physical that raises your heartrate will beat back anxiety. It works. Whenever I feel tense, I run in place. Then take a few deep breaths. You've heard the term "nervous energy"? Yeah, that is the thing to fight.
I totally agree with you! If it wasn't for walking at the gym or outside I would be insane! It really helps my mood and outlook on life and it is such a simple thing to do. My gym has a pool and lots of different machines I haven't even used yet. I need too.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

looks like I may get to see sochi in june. I was instructed to buy tickets, vacation was approved, I've been slacking on my russian for the past few years - crash course time...
It's not at all like riding a bicycle.

now if I can only find a place there I can get my hands on some masa harina, I'll be able to make those mexican dishes I promised last time. My tortillas didn't turn out the greatest but with what I could find, the crew was treated to a fabulous mexican feast.
This time I won't be walking around with an oil can in my hand all day either
Old 03-28-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twal View Post
Yeah...come on down. We'll go to the beach!
Packing right now just had a mani and pedi so all ready for the beach.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Mesaman. Thanks for link to Dictators. Never heard them before.

B
Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hey Bim, I was gonna post a jack lalayne workout for you to do at home.
But I saw this and thought it was pretty cool. So you get a message instead of a workout for Jack the man.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

LB. Jack LaLanne? Thanks.

Really.

There are tons of workout videos online that are more - um - 2015.

Do you even google?

I have a bunch of workout videos here, mostly dance ones like Zumba. I live on the third floor. Having to plan workouts around the downstairs neighbor gets annoying. The library has a bunch, too.

The message from Jack is a good one, for all of us

Smile
Eat well
Exercise
Practice gratitude
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great stuff BIM... newbies reading need plenty of great ideas of how to handle things. I use exercise as well.

Took a good long while for it to set in... like a full year but now it's a vital part of my weekly routines!

And I used to belong to Jack La Lane health spas when they were big. Back in the early 90's
Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I could not even have a normal life without exercise. If I go a couple days without, I feel the tension start to mount. The stress hormones need a release. I think we all sit on our mushrooms way too much. Good hard physical exercise is the way our bodies were designed to work. Too much sitting around leads to excess energy which feels like anxiety.

It's such a simple fix.

Sometimes I wake up feeling anxious. The first thing I do on these mornings is jumping jacks and toe-touches. There are a ton of exercises that can be done with no equipment and in very little space. All I know is that stress/anxiety comes up for no reason sometimes, so I know it is a physiological thing. I've proven to myself over and over that exercise - even two or three minutes of it - stops those anxious feelings.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Exercise is a must.
I do plain old walking and jogging with the dog. This morning we went just after the sun came up. We were serenaded by a wonderful chorus of frogs as we ran through one of the neighboring streets.
I do not think it gets any better than that!