SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   After one year of sobriety... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/363059-after-one-year-sobriety.html)

youngladysober2 03-25-2015 02:57 PM

After one year of sobriety...

Well guys I'm back. I couldn't find the email I used to create my old account so I created another login. I don't know if you guys remembered me but I went by youngladysober. Last time I posted I was On a trip to Vegas which I didn't drink at all. After that I decided just a year of sobriety was all I needed to
Be able to drink again. That year rocked. I got a promotion I was able to handle my emotions.i felt in control. Last month I decided to drink. How stupid. I freaking :c004::c004:dumb of me. There was a voice in my head that said no but my pride got in the way. I wanted to show everyone I'm in control of alcohol now. So foolish. I went out a few times and I didn't go crazy or blackout and I thought I had it under control. Then it was I want to drink wine with my favorite show. Felt alcohol taking the reigns. It was scary. Then I blacked out on St. party's day and that was the last straw for everyone around me. I was gone for 5 hours no one knew where I was. I passed out In a bar. I feel so dumb. I know this isn't the worst story in the world but I came so far to just black out again. My boyfriend was ready to leave me AGAIN for the same cramp.

How stupid can I be? Alcohol isn't for me. But I still have fantasies drinking again. What the heck is wrong with me. I feel so stupid and low. I feel like the people that respected me don't anymore. I'm a fool again. Alcohol once again made me look like a fool.

least 03-25-2015 03:09 PM

Welcome back! :hug: You can turn your life around again. But you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink. Can you do that? It took me a while to finally quit for good, but now my life is better than ever. Yours can be too! :)

Soberwolf 03-25-2015 03:09 PM

Welcome Youngladysober its nice to meet you

PurpleKnight 03-25-2015 03:11 PM

Welcome back!! :)

Fly N Buy 03-25-2015 03:16 PM

Glad you made it back, many are not so fortunate! Passed out in a bar missing for 5 hours is pretty bad.......glad it did not end in a much worse manner as it could have.

Good to have you here

Robinz 03-25-2015 03:17 PM

Hi youngladysober
Your story hit home with me.
You should be proud of your year though.
It shows how you really can do it.
When you spoke of fantasizing about drinking and starting back into it slowly that's when I could feel your pain. I am 6 weeks sober and it is so frustrating sometimes. Today I just felt like a zombie just going through the motions to get home. Some days have been great though so that keeps me going. You are not a fool. You just have an addiction like all of us here. Don't beat yourself up. Just begin again. Take care

SoberLeigh 03-25-2015 03:20 PM

Welcome back, youngladysober. Glad that you want to find sobriety again; the good news is that you can.

~Lia~ 03-25-2015 03:41 PM

There is that little voice in the back of my head saying "maybe one day I can have just a few, and be a normal drinker." Maybe 5 years, maybe 10. But then I try to squash that and focus on today.

Please don't be hard on yourself, we are human. And learn from our mistakes. You never want to feel this low ever again means never pick up a drink ever again. We are all in the same boat with you ((hugs))

Hevyn 03-25-2015 03:43 PM

Really glad to see you back younglady! Sounds like you learned a lot. It had to happen that way for me too - I once had 3 yrs. & started back up without giving it much thought. I quickly tanked and had a very hard time getting straight again.

Keep posting and reading - it helps to know you're not alone. You can do it! Then you never have to go back to that ugly place. :)

youngladysober2 03-25-2015 03:48 PM

I'm trying guys. I live in Colorado. Craft beer HEAVEN. I'm young (24) and I just want to go out and drink like other people do. I know I sound immature but I don't think it's fair. I'm so emotional right now. Sorry for ranting.

Soberwolf 03-25-2015 03:57 PM

Im 32 youngladysober got sober at 31 i know i cant drink safely or responsibly I accept that

In time youl find how much better it is its normal to feel how your feeling just know it will get better

I promise you your life will improve in sobriety hang in there bud

airwick 03-25-2015 03:58 PM

I quit about a year ago, on St. Pat's to be exact.

I remember being warned SO SO SO many times.... don't pick up that first drink.

These were my rules that I followed on that Special Day.

a. "Don't be Cocky" when you hit the year mark.
b. Treat it like any other day.
c. Smile a bit more, pat yourself on the back.

Just don't start thinking you are invincible .

Your not.

You know you CAN'T drink.
You have nothing to prove to anyone except yourself.

Prove to Yourself that You have decided to stay Sober for You!

* I remember you by the way! Not sure if I ever I might have clicked "Airwick" letting you know I was there lol

~Lia~ 03-25-2015 03:58 PM

I get it, and it sucks to be the one who can't have a drink. I would always monitor everyone else when I was drinking, hoping they were keeping pace, getting as drunk as I was. Because then they wouldn't notice/remember how I behaved.

It's not fun. And now that I don't drink, I notice that my friends have a slow pace, and even stop after a few. Things I could be never do.

Bottom line: alcoholism is a progressive disease and only gets worse. You don't want to do this for 10 more years, that's more regret, shame and embarrassment.

I can have fun in a bar with friends, I order my seltzer with lime and bonus is waking up the next day with a clear head and full recollection of the night!

Thepatman 03-25-2015 04:07 PM

Glad you made it back. Sobriety is not a death sentence, it is a life sentence.

Why not take it as if you are allergic to peanuts. Would you spend your life envying people that have peanut butter sandwiches, or would you go your way a live, away from peanuts?

You are allergic to Alcohol. It makes you sick and could kill. Voila

Mentium 03-25-2015 04:08 PM

I like your simple statement 'alcohol isn't for me'. That says it for me in a nutshell. Welcome back!

newpage119 03-25-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by youngladysober2 (Post 5281988)
I'm trying guys. I live in Colorado. Craft beer HEAVEN. I'm young (24) and I just want to go out and drink like other people do. I know I sound immature but I don't think it's fair. I'm so emotional right now. Sorry for ranting.

Hi youngladysober,
You can take the same situation and words, and look at it a totally different way. You are young (24) and you are lucky that you are finding out about your problems with alcohol at an early age! You have your whole life ahead of you, and it will be so much better sober.....
:c014:
I WISH I was 24 and sober! But I wasted a lot of years drinking alcohol...nothing to do about that now...but you have a great opportunity to save your own life!

Latte 03-25-2015 05:48 PM

I know, it took awhile, but today-I'm not the one who can't have a drink, I'm just the one who doesn't drink. I found that there were a lot of us-and not just people in recovery, but people who abstained for other reasons.

I have a lot of fun-my friends have a lot of fun, some drink, some don't but we all respect each other.

Alynn 03-25-2015 05:54 PM

Welcome back! I know that feeling of wanting to show everyone that you are in control. I know how it feels when that plan fails also. It sucks starting over but you obviously can do it! You came back here and that says alot! Let show everyone that we are in control of our sobriety :) Don't beat yourself up :)

thomas11 03-25-2015 06:38 PM

Hi younglady, It appears you have a couple of huge advantages working in your favor, your youth and your brains. What I mean by that is at a young age you are smart enough to recognize you have an issue that you want to correct.

Quite frankly when I was 24 if I would have got lost for 5 hours or a buddy of mine would have been found out passed out in a bar, we would have laughed so hard the next day about it we'd have tears. But its not one bit funny. I wish you the very best.

LBrain 03-25-2015 06:50 PM

yeah, I agree with Thomas, when I was your age, it was another medal on my chest if I got black out drunk.
Thanks for posting. Pick yourself up and move forward.