Notices

Fear in sobriety

Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Fear in sobriety

Fear is huge for me. When I was drinking, alcohol washed away fears for a brief period of time.I was fearful of relationships, events, institutions and life in general. As I become sober I learn to deal with/face my fears - identify what exactly they are, what causes them and how to I mitigate those fears.

Below is an excerpt from an article on SR about dealing with fear - it's a good overview, but not very in depth. I am hopeful this thread may generate some input from other SR friends about what they fear and how they deal with it in sobriety.

"For some reason, fear is the most powerful emotion that recovering people deal with. When kept to oneself, it becomes impossible for that person to overcome. Historically, chances are good that their only source of courage and fortitude came from an addictive substance or behavior. Without that, they will become immobilized and frozen in fear, unable to participate in life at any level."
Conquering Your Fear

Experience, strength and hope.....
What fears do / did you have in sobriety and how do you cast them out - deal with them????
Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lot of them resolve just by letting the nervous system and brain heal. Anxiety and fear are just as likely caused by a physical problem as by a psychological one.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My biggest fear was that I was not good enough.

By reconnecting spiritually, I have found that, indeed, I am good enough.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me one of my biggest fears in getting sober was talking about it sounds strange but it held me back a lot when trying to get sober i couldnt imagine phoning someone and saying i feel like drinking

At meetings i wouldnt talk i would just listen then slowly with more work like group therapy i was talking and doing things with others about our diffrent addictions

i then started to share at meetings but i wouldnt share for long i was short and to the point it got better the more group therapy went on the more i met up with an outreach team the more meetings i went

talking about alcoholism to another alcoholic is now water off a ducks back and i don't have that fear i once had

Today i can say i no longer live in fear and life is good has its standard up and downs but today there a lot more better days and im grateful for that

Super Exellent thread Fly