SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hope for us yet (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362991-hope-us-yet.html)

courage2 03-24-2015 08:10 PM

Hope for us yet

This might inspire a few of you, especially if you're struggling with PAWS:

I drank for a long time. Many times over the last decade or two, my husband would ask me if I remembered this or that -- a movie, a trip, an afternoon, big things, small things. I got really tired of always answering, "no, I don't remember what you're talking about." A whole city we visited together left no trace in my head.

I'd make a joke of it -- I'd say, "I'm easy to entertain, because I can watch the same movie over & over, and it never gets old." I treated it like an eccentricity: I'd tell people who had little things they needed from me, "if you don't see me writing it down, this conversation hasn't happened." I'd lie and say I remembered things when I didn't.

It was all the booze. Life in brownout.

Tonight my husband asked me if I remembered something we did around Christmas time, nothing important. I did! I was there. My mind is returning, and life is starting to leave an impression.

EndGameNYC 03-24-2015 08:15 PM

I was once told that I talked someone, a stranger to me, out of committing suicide during a blackout, though the person who told me the next day didn't know I was blacked out. Of course I told her. To this day she still does not believe me. And I don't think I believe her either.

strategery 03-24-2015 08:16 PM

It is always encouraging to hear how things get better with sobriety. Thank you so much Courage for sharing! :hug:

TroyW 03-24-2015 08:33 PM

Kudos to your sobriety! Keep it up.

LDT 03-24-2015 08:49 PM

How about not remembering most of a whole family sailing vacation due to drinking? ( that was me ) Brown out indeed..... Never again!

Dee74 03-24-2015 08:51 PM

:c014: great stuff Courage :)

D

HeartsAfire 03-24-2015 08:55 PM

Can so relate to this post. It's a great feeling indeed!

Thanks, Courage.

Soberwolf 03-25-2015 03:19 AM

Exellent Courage

Alynn 03-25-2015 04:19 AM

Gosh I hate that feeling of forgetting things! Yay that we don't have to do that anymore!!!! Great post!

jessie65 03-25-2015 05:04 AM

My latest drinking episode left me completely mortified, apparently I told a friend that I would do something for them (that would literally take MONTHS of my time and money), I was so blown away when my kid mentioned it the next morning. I had 6-7 drinks that night and do not even remember getting buzzed, never mind blacked out, I still can't make sense out of it.

Still don't know how I'm getting out of it and my son was witness to the whole conversation. UGH

I seriously have to quit. Day 5 today (again).