Notices

tapering off methadone.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tapering off methadone.

Hi,

I am currently on 13 mg of methadone and have been tapering for the past year. Highest dose I've been on is 90 mg and have been on it for 4 years now. Sometimes during the day I feel gross but it goes away quickly. Find it bothers me more at night. Restless leg and sore muscles but nothing I cannot handle. I WANT off now! I am so determined to get off and stop letting it run my life. I have two amazing bboy's and what I'm afraid of is how I'm going to get up and going once I'm off. Afraid of feeling like poop. My spouse is being supportive but can oonly take one of his weeks vacations. (Forgot to add I go down 1 mg a week.) I just want to sstop taking it by my next doctor's visit. Any advice ? Feels like this tapering is lasting forever. I'm just fed up.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cassandra its nice to meet you
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. I have heard that a slow taper works the best with methadone. My doctor described tapering vs cold turkey to me like landing a plane as smooth as possible vs. a crash landing. I think as I got closer to being off the more restless I got and wanted off. I recommend talking to your doctor and expressing your concerns. I understand how being on methadone can really suck.

Keep posting and reading, lots of awesome people here at SR. Best of luck!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cassandra!!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Cassandra

I have no experience with methadone but like any medication I'd speak with your Dr before I changed anything.

we also have a methadone forum you may want to check out as well:
Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

best wishes to you whatever you decide
D
Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cassandra!

I was on methadone for 10yrs. Follow your doctor's advice...taper! You are very fortunate to be able to take this route. I was not so fortunate & was cut off cold turkey ( along w/norcos & klonopin. ) The withdrawals I felt were like the crash landing that Justin described & then some ( more like crashing & burning up in a fiery inferno! Lol..I can laugh about now, but I wasn't laughing then. ) You will have a much, much easier go of it ( since I had the added opiate & benzo and I wasn't weaned properly. So, no worries! )