Notices

No energy for job searching

Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

No energy for job searching

Hi guys, I don't have no energy searching for jobs today or this week. My husband brings it up or when there is a situation he tells me we need your income. I am getting tired of filling out apps. They are getting harder and harder for me. Or its the same redundant routine. I have put in many job apps out there the beginning of the year and only got 3 interviews. Of course they didn't want me.

I been told from many people its not met to be, what if its not met to be at all. My husband has told me his employer wants him to move to Arlington to take over the project there. Of course its not going to be next year. It is awesome that he is becoming a pretty good Project manager, but that just means they have to pay him a lot more money for us to live there, if I cant get a job.

I was in the middle of a job app, and just logged off cause I couldn't do it. To much questions and it would be easier if they have a system that you can put your resume in there and it does the rest. But, half the time you do that its all wacked out that you have to delete what is in there and manually do it.

Maybe I just don't have the patience anymore for this stuff anymore, half the time they skip your resume or they don't even get to yours. I am freaking out, cause I always had something and bring money in. We have hospital bills, mortgage, school loans, utilities, credit cards, car payments, car insurances, and who knows what else.

Is my background bad is that why they are not hiring me?
Am I under qualified or over qualified
I have a associates degree in business but, most companies want a bachelor degree, will they prefer to have one. most likely you will be denied if you don't have one.

Maybe when my husband and my kids go out of town this weekend for 2 weeks, maybe I can focus better and I am able to do more. This is the stuff I cant stand that puts me in a awkward place and bad place that I can relapse in my sobriety cause of high stress. I am trying isn't good enough, something needs to come my way.

Sorry, but I need reinsurance what I need to do before I go out of my mind...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it. Do you have quite a bit of previous experience by chance? If so, why not maybe try to start your own consulting company? Just slowly build your client base, and before you know it, you'll be looking in the mirror with a huge smile on your face.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Searching for a job is not easy; almost every position has numerous candidates so the odds for everyone is low, BUT the odds are higher than the zero they are if you don't apply.

Think of your job search as your job and devote a certain amount of time each day to finding opportunities. Do you have a professional network that you can tap into? What about approaching a recruiter in your industry? You may also want to broaden the breadth of the type of positions you're looking for.

I wish you well.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jen, online applications are the norm and I know they're a pain, but if you can stick with the applications and get them finished, it will pay off. Companies want you to have to 'work' to go through their application process.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Temp Agencies???

Have you tried those?? Maybe you need some medication like an anti-depressant if you have no energy. Just saying
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Searching for a job is not easy; almost every position has numerous candidates so the odds for everyone is low, BUT the odds are higher than the zero they are if you don't apply.

Think of your job search as your job and devote a certain amount of time each day to finding opportunities. Do you have a professional network that you can tap into? What about approaching a recruiter in your industry? You may also want to broaden the breadth of the type of positions you're looking for.

I wish you well.
I have tons of staff agencies that I applied to for jobs in my areas, and I am on all these job network talents too.

Its just really frustrating and I just don't know what to do no more..
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you're going through since I am in the same boat. I think part of it is you're wondering what is going on with your husband's job. For me, some months, it's we're going to leave, then the other month is that we're staying here. So in the back of your mind it may be that it seems like a lot of wasted time and effort on your part to get a job you may have to leave several months later.

Are you worried about who is going to look after the kids or the cost of that? That is something to think about and may be impacting your motivation to job hunt as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Job searching is one of the hardest things especially when you don't have one. It makes it so frustrating. I posted in your DUI thread the other day. I bring that up because I had just lost my job and then I get a DUI about a month later. I was depressed with no motivation for anything and of course drinking caused it to get worse getting that DUI. I finally did get a full time a few months later while doing small things in between. My point is you can't give up. I know how difficult it is, but you can't let it get the best of you. While I was jobless and dealing with the DUI I also was denied unemployment. Tough and rough couple of months, but made it through. You can as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice but I completely relate, job applications is what I spend my days off doing too but it's so stressful and exhausting. Hang in there, eventually you'll get one you want. That's what I tell myself!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
Job searching is one of the hardest things especially when you don't have one. It makes it so frustrating. I posted in your DUI thread the other day. I bring that up because I had just lost my job and then I get a DUI about a month later. I was depressed with no motivation for anything and of course drinking caused it to get worse getting that DUI. I finally did get a full time a few months later while doing small things in between. My point is you can't give up. I know how difficult it is, but you can't let it get the best of you. While I was jobless and dealing with the DUI I also was denied unemployment. Tough and rough couple of months, but made it through. You can as well.

I respond to that, Good luck on the case.. I know that some states are sticklers on DUI's. Like my Best Friend she has been thru courts for so many different things and this one is taking longer than it should be. They want to charge her more than a DUI.

I know I shouldn't give up, I got myself to send 7 apps tonight. I just hope they call me for an interview. Even though I wish jobs will look over the nervous and see how good employee I am and train me. Lot of jobs don't even train you the way it should be though.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get some 'bites' Jen

D
Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen73 View Post
I respond to that, Good luck on the case.. I know that some states are sticklers on DUI's. Like my Best Friend she has been thru courts for so many different things and this one is taking longer than it should be. They want to charge her more than a DUI.

I know I shouldn't give up, I got myself to send 7 apps tonight. I just hope they call me for an interview. Even though I wish jobs will look over the nervous and see how good employee I am and train me. Lot of jobs don't even train you the way it should be though.
Also I learned this as well....if and when you are applying through a 3rd party like Monster, Careerbuilder etc....I go straight to that postings website instead of applying through a 3rd party. I found that I received more responses that way since it's going directly to that companies website instead of being filtered through one of the other job sites.

Also if you haven't yet...send your resume to temp job agencies. I've gotten a lot of hits and phone interviews that way as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jen, I am so sorry for your travails. Since coming back to the U.S. from a gazillion years in another country, I have become quite aware (and unfortunately cynical) about the job situation/health care n in the U.S. There are so many English-speaking friends on this site, but as empathetic as they are, am not sure that they can comprehend the utter insanity and the crazy stress that U.S citizens are under. I don't want to say any more, but just want to iterate that I understand the utter craziness of the health care system here. I could go on and on, but please forgive... I have struggled with this situation for over ten years. Anyone who has it figured out the craziness deserves my utter respect. Please forgive me, since I know everyone is suffering, but....