Notices

Does anyone get an anxious feeling when tired?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 months sober today.

As my present I have had a pretty horrible night.

Throughout my sobriety ive had horrid anxiety panic which went in the first 2 months. Its definitely got better. But every now and then admittedly not as often I get a bit of a spacey groggy feeling like im just a bit zombied. Its kinda hard to explain.

I think its definitely related to sleep/tirednesd as I am up at 530 am normally in ved about 11 pm. Maybe thats not enough. I had a big stressy spacey, feeling kinda episode which lasted about 2 hours, just coming out of it now. It always passes, I get a bit shaky, freequent urination, just feel scared. Its like a flasback to early withdrawel, plus It often happens around the time id normally drink.

Bit frustrated that at 4 months im still getting knocked around by weird scary ****** feelings. Its like I cant cope with being tired or something. Hard balance to find, too little sleep or too much... im definitely starting to get more good days however. Early in the piece I was lucky to fet 1 good day a week.

Anyone relate?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can but I get anxious more about being tired. like I have a fear of being over tired. It's hard to explain
Old 03-24-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally relate to this. I've been up for over 2 hours, but not half awake yet. Took my supplements- check. Drank a litre of coffee- check. Not really in the humor no.

Listening to some uplifting tunes but they ain't working. I'm pretty sure it's exhaustion basically. Have anxiety too creeping in. So I'm debating wether to go back to bed for an hour.

Did you read up on PAWS? I find it reassuring when I'm feeling like that, I hear what you are saying. Things are improving though, slowly but surely right? Congrats on the 4 months dude.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes completely relate.. Sleep is totally tried into my mental welfare.. Especially getting up before daylight..
Maybe you can try and extra hour of sleep
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I can relate, this could be PAWS. And we're not talking about those Bear Paws treats.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you had your sugar checked?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 4 months MrJustin have you tried breathing exercises ?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mr Justin

I can totally understand what you mean with the weird feelings ,, Most mornings I wake up feeling scared and a bit anxious and it takes me a bit of time to come round I need to reassure myself there isn’t anything to worry about. I am 6 months sober now and I still get weird episodes but I think that is just life.

I know it gets better and it has so when ever I feel a bit on edge I just tell myself things are a hell of a lot better than there where at the start.

Keep up the good work its early days for us both.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

very much so. Well done on a great achievement!
CC
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Justin

I forget - do you see anyone about your anxiety?

You seem to worry about a lot of stuff.

While in one sense that's understandable, when the anxiety gets debilitating and doesn't ease over time, I think it's fair enough to talk to your Dr, maybe look for some counselling?

D
Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for addressing this. All of our recoveries are different, and specific to our invididual needs. I too have found my anxiety increasing with continuous sobriety. It's a new sensation for sure. I am in the Program, so my sponsor reassures me that it's PAWS. I am also fortunate enough to be around other recovering alcoholics who don't attend AA and I have witnessed the same irritability/anxiety.

Whatever it is for you is certainly very normal and natural, given your predispotions.

Please keep posting about anxiety! I feel like it gets a short shrift in regards to recovery. It is indeed a real thing and is something that hinders recovery.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol seems to induce anxiety in some people and reduce anxiety in others. If your anxiety is not improving with continued sobriety, I agree with Dee, it's time to see a medical professional and get medication, counseling, whatever is offered. Exercise, healthy eating and plenty of sleep helps many but don't be afraid to get more help with it if you need it.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

?..........
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I definitely can get this way when tired: it is also when I experience my worst cravings. A friend who works in sleep and health was telling me most adults need 8 to 9 hours of sleep. There are folks who need less but it is a very imam all percentage of the population (maybe 2 or 3 percent). Those of us whose bodies are recovering probably need more. Is it possible to go to sleep a bit earlier!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's my plan Matilda, good call. Im coming to realize that im not coping on 5 to 6 hours. Especially early in recovery.

The anxious episodes are slowly improving and becoming further art so medication isnt being suggested.

I tend to only post on here when im feeling off also, im having more good days than bad though.

From my point of view its more the challenge of goung from getting pizzd everynight for 15 years to adjusting to normality.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, it is an adjustment, Justin. The sleep really does help. Sometimes I just go to bed earlier: take a nice hot shower and sip a cup of tea while I read or listen to music.

Be kind to yourself, especially in these early months. And in the later months too! I trace my relapse a month ago to forgetting all my new patterns and routines that help support my sobriety. My realization so far is I can't do as much as I thought I could when I used alcohol to shut myself off at night. And that's not a bad thing.