Notices

Recent NPR article opinions

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recent NPR article opinions

What are your opinions on this article? I don't think moderation is possible, but that just my input.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015...ntent=20150323
Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me I'm in that category mentioned in the article as "need treatment to stop drinking completely"

Not getting drunk and having a couple wouldn't be enough for me, I drank to get drunk!!

Having 1 drink wouldn't appeal to me at all, that was my problem, attempts at moderation would always fall short of what I wanted from alcohol!!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

My AV loves these kinds of articles. Notice that those who lose jobs or get DUI's are included among those who need treatment to quit altogether...

Doesn't say anything about the ones who should have gotten about a dozen DUI's by now but, by luck of the draw, managed to avoid getting any at all. That's me.

Sometimes, I have to laugh at the very existence of studies such as the one(s) cited in this article. Why is alcohol so all-important that this much focus and concentration has to go into how people can safely continue drinking poison?! I dunno...just seems silly to me.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I did a lot of my own "research" in moderation. I even tried the Moderation Management plan mentioned in the article. Unfortunately, none of them worked.

I have no doubt that there are some people who are simply heavy drinkers that can cut back, but i'm not one of them.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Notice that those who lose jobs or get DUI's are included among those who need treatment to quit altogether... Doesn't say anything about the ones who should have gotten about a dozen DUI's by now but, by luck of the draw, managed to avoid getting any at all. That's me.
So very true. In my day to day life, no one would've ever guessed I had a problem because I didn't lose my job, get a DUI or jail time. But the reality is, those were very good possibilities! I don't know how I managed not to either. But glad that I don't have to worry about THAT anymore lol.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

Having 1 drink wouldn't appeal to me at all, that was my problem, attempts at moderation would always fall short of what I wanted from alcohol!!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
So very true. In my day to day life, no one would've ever guessed I had a problem because I didn't lose my job, get a DUI or jail time. But the reality is, those were very good possibilities! I don't know how I managed not to either. But glad that I don't have to worry about THAT anymore lol.
Yep. there are those who get caught, and those who should have. In rehab, somebody told me, "Well, you just must be a really good drunk driver!" I said, "There's no such thing. I'm just a very lucky drunk driver." Everybody I encountered on the road, or whomever rode with me, including my children, are very lucky, too.

It's a morbid thought, but I certainly am grateful that if, God forbid, anything happens to me on the road now involving alcohol, it will be the other driver instead of me.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From my first drink I drank to get wasted. Moderation will never work for people like me. The association is just too ingrained. I think early trying to moderate to see if you can do it is ok, but there is a point when you get your answer. I got mine.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also don't see the point in "tracking" my alcohol intake. Too much work. It's easier to be sober!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think this article is pretty clear about there being a continuum of alcohol abuse. It also notes that moderation can lead to a decision to commit to abstinence (primarily because of the oft-mentioned obsession with drinking that accompanies moderation for many).

For myself, I fall on the low end of the spectrum of alcohol abuse - I've had no concrete negative consequences in my life, etc. I have chosen abstinence because I find it easier than moderation, but it is a pretty extreme choice to have made with my personal history. I certainly wouldn't expect that many in my situation would choose abstinence. So, when we only offer the two ends of the spectrum (alcohol abuse or abstinence) I feel like we cut dialogue with zillions of drinkers who might be headed for difficulty, and who would grow from some involvement with the recovery movement.

For this reason, I'm pleased that there is a discussion of moderation out there. It creates an option for folks who aren't alcoholic to address problem alcohol intake - which can develop simply as habit (especially if one is in relationship with an alcoholic or has a work social group which culturally is alcohol dependent) or situational (as when folks over-indulge through the complex emotions of a painful loss). I think we all agree that not everyone who drinks heavily is an alcoholic, and providing support alternatives might be just what many need to approach and respond to short term periods of heavy drinking.

Here is a parallel - there are many many people out there who are over-weight. Many of these folks will undertake exercise or diet regimes on their own, but most of us would agree that they will likely be more successful if they work with a trainer, or have a friend who agrees to work out with them, etc. It is also shown that people who keep track of (log) their caloric intake and exercise time are more consistent and successful at transforming their bodies. This is a direct parallel of what a moderation management program is offering someone concerned about their alcohol use.

On a more extreme end of the spectrum are folks with eating disorders. Those folks will likely need more powerful and encompassing support - inpatient treatment, a 12 step program, therapy. They would not be well served with a chart on the fridge and an appointment with a trainer at the gym.

I think that for the true alcoholic or addict, total abstinence is the only thing that really works. I think there are many people out there that are not alcoholics, but for whom abstinence is offered as the only alternative, and for them this limits the possibilities and generally leaves them plopped down right in the middle of their substance abuse struggles with nowhere to go.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The last sentence in the article reads "And if moderation doesn't work? It may be a step on the path to abstinence."

Or, it could be like the like the founder of "support group" Moderation Management who caused a fatal car crash driving drunk and later committed suicide.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This article infuriated me. I never comment on articles like this one. But in this case I made the effort to establish an account, log in, and give them "what for". I think this article sends a very dangerous message to people like me whose brain doesn't work like moderate drinkers. What this article assumes is that people like me can recognize our inability to moderate. Well, just when I had myself convinced that I can't moderate, this article suggests, albeit unwittingly I suppose, that maybe I canlearn to moderate.

Like GetMeOut, my AV loved this article. But instead of laughing it off, I found myself listening to my AV, even if only for a few minutes. And I really, really hate that.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

From Moderation Management's website - linked thru the npr article; There are 8 bullet points to what a moderate drinker is. I completely fail all of them. I did have a friend once who was normal though......I had to stop hanging out with them.

A Moderate Drinker:

•considers an occasional drink to be a small, though enjoyable, part of life.
•has hobbies, interests, and other ways to relax and enjoy life that do not involve alcohol.
•usually has friends who are moderate drinkers or nondrinkers.
•generally has something to eat before, during, or soon after drinking.
•usually does not drink for longer than an hour or two on any particular occasion.
•usually does not drink faster than one drink per half-hour.
•usually does not exceed the .055% BAC moderate drinking limit. (see Note 1 below)
•feels comfortable with his or her use of alcohol (never drinks secretly and does not spend a lot of time thinking about drinking or planning to drink).
Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
The last sentence in the article reads "And if moderation doesn't work? It may be a step on the path to abstinence."

Or, it could be like the like the founder of "support group" Moderation Management who caused a fatal car crash driving drunk and later committed suicide.
I had not heard that Audrey Kishline had committed suicide but found this.

http://www.thefix.com/content/rememb...udrey-kishline

Very sad.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I might say I want to drink moderately, but the truth is, I want to drink with impunity, and suffer none of the consequences of my drinking.

That's what separates me from the "moderate" drinker.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
This article infuriated me. I never comment on articles like this one. But in this case I made the effort to establish an account, log in, and give them "what for". I think this article sends a very dangerous message to people like me whose brain doesn't work like moderate drinkers. What this article assumes is that people like me can recognize our inability to moderate. Well, just when I had myself convinced that I can't moderate, this article suggests, albeit unwittingly I suppose, that maybe I canlearn to moderate.

Like GetMeOut, my AV loved this article. But instead of laughing it off, I found myself listening to my AV, even if only for a few minutes. And I really, really hate that.
Some of us are not at a place where we can handle anything that even remotely makes us question whether or not we have a problem. I agree, for those people, this kind of article can send a dangerous message. We're not really thinking all that clearly to begin with.

It's kinda like when I would see yet another one of the news stories about how red wine is actually good for you. I don't really like wine, but the message I got - in my clouded state of mind - was: alcohol is not so bad for you after all. Never mind the caveat that heavy drinking reverses any good benefits. Once I got started, no matter how good my intentions, I'd always be sloshed in no time, and repeating it every day.

We can't live in a bubble, though. We're a minority. I do understand and sympathize with your anger over it.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know i cant moderate

i think if you have to moderate your drinking your not addressing the real problem
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To me it's now rather obvious. There are lots of "moderate drinkers" but few, or more likely none of them, are alcoholics. All, or perhaps nearly all, "alcoholics" cannot drink moderately. At least I couldn't. That's all I need to know. And it took me forty years to convince myself of that. It's called "doing research". And "doing research" can kill lots of folks. injure others, destroy families. It's the only form of slavery where the slaves have to be convinced that its better to be free.

W.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My bf is an alcoholic. 15yrs ago, she was drinking over a case/day. Today she is down to less than a 6pc/day.
However, I'm quite certain that if her world fell apart tomorrow ( as it did 15yrs ago ) she would be tee totalling it again.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Atlantic is not a magazine solely for alcoholics, so I'm not surprised or upset by the article.

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post

..who was in AA when the accident happened, so I'm not sure of your point here awuh?

D