Notices

Exercising heart rate - much better after just 2 weeks

Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

Exercising heart rate - much better after just 2 weeks

I've been going to the gym on and off for a few years now, mainly on. Despite running for at least 20 minutes every day, I just couldn't seem to make much progress when keeping to a maximum 80% heart rate (144 for my age).

Today I was back in the gym for the first time in about a month so hardly in prime condition; in fact I've put on 7lbs since I quit. And yet there was a really big improvement in running pace while keeping under 144bpm, as much as 15%. This has never happened before so I don't think it can be anything else other than my 2 weeks off booze. Has anyone else noticed such a drastic improvement in such a short space of time?

I've also noticed that my heart doesn't start racing anymore but this only usually happened after a big night.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always kept pretty fit, even while drinking heavily I ran and went to the gym and was pretty active....

But, I was definitely noticing heart rate issues. Heart racing, palpatations, etc.

Not long ago after a year of sobriety I went to the doctor for an annual physical. I mentioned past heart racing issues and he did a diagnostic EKG. My resting heart rate was 37.

Turns out, stopping drinking can really slow things down in the heart department.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Stu. Every time I've quit drinking for a couple of weeks my fitness level improved noticeably in that time. Maybe because I wasn't always hung over at the gym? Very exciting that you're seeing such rapid improvement!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

It's something I've always monitored closely, and I'd run almost every day for months on end with very little improvement. Maybe an extra 5% tops after all that time. 15% in two weeks without any training has blown me away. Just proves the harm it can do!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeap, the body is a fantastic piece of kit!!

My blood pressure and heart rate all improved with Sobriety!!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff Stu! Very encouraging
My endurance and general motivation/commitment to fitness has improved hugely lately, tho I don't measure things like heart rate. Today I managed a personal best on the bike in the gym, woot
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Stu, I can confirm you are 100% correct. 2 weeks of no alcohol your body has probably calmed itself down and you are seeing the benefits. Just think if you start running regularly and continue to keep the alcohol at bay, you will probably feel great.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is absolutely true. I used to record my resting HR daily, and when I quit drinking last time I noticed my resting HR decreased almost 10 beats per minute, with absolutely no other changes in lifestyle.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Stu
Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes I've had a similar experience. I didn't start regular vigorous exercise until about 6 months in. First 6 months was maybe one moderate bike ride/week.

I'm sloowwwwly getting back into running. First few weeks was once a week for 30 mins, 3 minutes jog, 3 mins walk. Very gradually increased jog intervals and decreased walk intervals each time. Now I'm doing 2-3x per week and can jog 3 miles with no walk breaks!

While drinking I could not do that - regardless of duration, intensity & frequency of workouts, fitness level never improved. I'm not a doctor but I have heard that booze weakens the heart. In the absence of alcohol, my heart is definitely getting stronger.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found this article very interesting. It discusses how alcohol just kills gains in muscle growth and endurance. I know first hand that there is no way for me to be close to by best while drinking. Even though time after time I tried.

//oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/alcohol-and-athletes/

Thanks!

SB
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you read the studies... No surprise alcohol is horrible for fitness lol