Notices

Down, with a bit of a bang..

Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down, with a bit of a bang..

Day nine here and I woke up knowing I was a bit down after two or three really good up-beat days. Anyway I dragged myself out of the house and had a good brisk walk for well over an hour, taking photos as I went - dogs in tow. Feeling a bit better as a result!

There seems to be a point when the first hurdle is over with and you are faced with sober life that the reality kicks in. Add to that the fact that one's brain and body has not, despite progress, fully recovered by any means and one still has quite a lot on one's plate.

I am therefore struggling with mood, motivation (regarding life not quitting drinking!), and a general sense of flatness as well as a brain that does not seem to be functioning on all cylinders and a mild annoying headache!

I am however managing to retain high motivation for staying sober and making the most of life now that I don't drink. I am not expecting miracles, and I am not, as I may have done in previous times, thinking that this is sobriety, sobriety sucks and that drinking is better than this. It really is not. My last boozy spell told me that loud and clear!

Anyway, sorry to sound whiney. Doing good really here and will do what and all I need to do!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you know there are ups and downs for a while.

Have faith you'll get through them and you'll be ok as long as you stay sober and focused on building a new life for yourself

D
Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Patience is one of the early recovering alcoholic's most useful tool.

Continued success.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit nearly four months ago. In the early days, I felt that flatness and struggled to imagine life without alcohol. That faded with time. Now, I can't imagine a life with it.
It would derail the feelings of peace, focus, contentment, productivity, and growth I've already been able to experience. You've made the right choice. Continue down the path of sobriety and the flatness will give way to a better life. Life as it's meant to be experienced.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great, Mentium!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mentium, check out the article I posted yesterday about this very thing. The thread is titled "why this forum is effective"
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all! Just a quickie follow up. 'Normal' drinking time involves ready meals for lunch (I no longer work as I got early retirement a while ago). The ready meals were invariably spaghetti bolognaise or some such. OK as far as they go, but actually pretty crap food.

I love to cook, but my partner is on a constant diet so ...

..anyway cutting to the chase - make chicken, flattened, then coated with seasoned flour with friend mango slices, along with new potatoes, sautéed at the last minute and a large portion of broccoli - all made by your truly for lunch today!

My 'nerves' are still a bit frazzled and the timing of the cooking was surprisingly anxiety inducing - sheesh - but it was great!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mentium

Sorry to hear you have had a dip in mood and pleased to hear how you have dealt with it.
Day 9 for me too and trying to make this week all about physical activity and eating well.
Last week I gave myself free reign to eat any old rubbish that seemed to boost my mood (even if that is a bit of an illusion really - at least after the sugar wears off!).

Your lunch sounds great. I think cooking is a great analogy for recovery / sobriety. You have to get some good ingredients together, have a plan and then have enough patience to let things happen - some things you can't force into going faster....but you can certainly set them back through impatience. Ever opened the oven door on a cake too many times wishing it will be done faster, hehe!?

All the best

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

keep your eye on the goal M ,
mood and motivation come and go depending on what interesting things are going on .

There is a whole world of things to do , learn and see . What turns you on in life ?

What things could you plan to try ? parachute jump ? marathon ? singing on stage ? acting ? painting ? Volunteer to work with humans or other animals ?

It's a wonder being sober because for me it's given me a huge sense of personal empowerment and a give it a try attitude with life , there is no telling where you will end up as you have been carrying round that deadweight of drink / addiction , just give it time , keep on trying
Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

"now that I don't drink" welcome to the club, lunch sounded yummy
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Mentium!!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing really well Mentium
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

I think I know what you're going through Mentium. It's an amazing feeling just after your body has detoxed and you start feeling 'normal' again. But that high tapers off after a few days and you're left thinking 'now what'? Well that's how I felt anyway! I guess the 'what' is life, and the possibilities are endless.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're right on track!

The mild headache may well be due to dehydration. We tend to come into sobriety already dehydrated from all the alcohol, and it takes a conscious effort to "catch up." My doc says that even a 10% dehydration makes all the organs work about 50% harder to do their jobs of detoxifying the body.

Walking has been one of the very important elements in my recovery also...it is my meditation.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Heartcore - I don't know what I would do without my walks - do about 90 mins to two hours a day!