Notices

Hello, I'm new...

Old 03-23-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i want to be well
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi there

something I have noticed about SR is that there is a lot of non-judgemental support here. So it is great that you have opened this line of communication even though you haven't stopped drinking yet. I really recommend that you keep it open as the days go by.

Seeing an English-speaking doctor might take a bit of research and planning but a large proportion of professionals in Germany have reasonable to excellent English - at least in my experience.

So it might seem insurmountable right now, but I think it can be managed with some planning, some Googling (inevitably) and some moral support from here.

But certainly keep 'talking' here where, currently you are communicating well and being heard.

Best wishes

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Samantha!!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think doctor is important , just go, seek out an English speaking one .
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous Berlin - Leipzig and Dresden English AA meeting in Leipzig. Get by today, arrange to go there somehow and thats about all you can do today
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the support you need, both here and in real life, to stop drinking for good.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can relate to your isolation. I had a great girl I thought I would marry, lots of friends, promising career in finance. Lost it all. Girl had enough and left, I lost the job, friends distanced themselves. Family largely unaware how bad I was. I spent 4 consecutive Christmases and birthdays alone drinking to oblivion. Everyone just assumed I was doing something with someone else.

The isolation and loneliness fed into my alcoholism. I had no one to say stop but when I dud sober up for a bit, I had to face all the destruction booze had wreaked on my life. Sober and alone was too hard. Drunk and alone was much easier.

I eventually had no choice but to get help. I had maxed out my credit cards and had no money to drink. All I had was 2 suitcases of clothes and enough for a bus ticket to my parents house. Showed up on their doorstep at age 34 a broken man. Was in rehab a week later.

You can't do it alone. reach out for help. This site is great but may not be enough.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello SamLacey,
Sorry to talk about 'me', but this may help. I lived in Japan for many years (before I became an alcoholic). Understood the language but when severe depression hit wouldn't see a doctor because they 'wouldn't understand'. It took a phone intervention from my sister to make me see the light and to access whatever resources were available in Tokyo. There was an English language lifeline that I believe saved my life. I found a shrink who had medical degrees in both the U.S and Japan and...whew, what a great help. Anyway, the point of this story is to let you know that you CAN find help. If you need an English-speaking doctor, you can find one. Take care, dear. I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best. You can do this.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sam - It's great to meet you. I'd been drinking as long as you've been alive when I found SR. Knowing I was never alone made all the difference. Someone is here 24/7 to listen and encourage you.

I was dependent on it too - when I finally quit I was drinking all day. I knew I couldn't continue for many reasons - and I wanted to be free of it. Posting here helped relieve my anxiety - no one judged me. I hope you'll find some answers here - we care about you - and we know you can do this Sam.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam. Good to have you here.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I never met a German who didn't speak English. English is mandatory in school; 64% of Germans speak English - most likely, doctors will be among them.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Samlacey its nice to meet you
Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Sam, and welcome! I'm brand new here but it seems like a really supportive place.

I identified with a lot in your situation - a lot of the feelings and drinking patterns. I realized that alcohol took away my desire for anything other than booze, and the remaining things that I did want were only possible without alcohol. I keep thinking of the line "when you stop drinking, you stop waiting." Or something like that.

Hopefully you'll be able to find English speakers who can help you.

Good luck in your journey!