SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   5000 posts (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362760-5000-posts.html)

DG0409 03-22-2015 08:57 AM

5000 posts

I just noticed that this will be my 5,000th post here on SR. It's certainly less that many people here, but I think it does show how I've been pretty active here on SR.

I don't come here that often anymore, but in the early days, this place was a life-saver for me. If you're struggling, I want to say, 'Post, post and post.' There is bound to be other people here to understand what you are going through and the support and suggestions are invaluable. It's something you can do to be really active in your sobriety and I think we're much more likely to be successful when we actively participate in our recovery. And sometimes just 'getting out' whatever we're feeling can help.

Along those same lines, I want to suggest reading as much as possible around here. One thing that I found helpful was sometimes checking out different ones of the sub-forums or threads here than the ones I normally visited. I could often find a different take on things that was really helpful.

Other than that, I just thought I would check-in as it's been a while since I've made a post. Things are going really well for me. I'm looking forward to two years without alcohol and the two year anniversary of when I joined SR on April 9. I have a bit over 20 months without weed and I'm coming up on 27 months without cigarettes.

Life feels calm and peaceful for me. I don't put as much time into my recovery anymore, but I do take time each morning to record how many days I have sober, make a gratitude list, plan my day out a bit, and read a couple of recovery books with daily readings. I'll occasionally hit an AA meeting or stop by SR and read a little. I don't want to take recovery for granted but on the flip side, to me, recovery is about getting out there and living a 'normal' life. (That may not be the best way to put that, but I hope my intent comes through.)

I continue to see progress in my life. It doesn't come on it's own: I work towards my goals on a constant basis. But I see the rewards for my efforts and that is really nice. Things really do just keep getting better.

DG0409 03-22-2015 08:59 AM

And apparently I can't count right or maybe can't read right and am still 40 posts short. Oh well, close enough.

biminiblue 03-22-2015 09:03 AM

Here I thought you were congratulating me. :roflmao

Kidding, of course. Or not. I do tend to have the thought that everything revolves around me. God's not finished with me yet.

(Quick, just make 39 more posts in this thread; no one will notice!!)

I agree that posting and reading here is important. When I am telling my story over and over, I am clarifying to myself what is important and what I find valuable - and I'm sorting through my own stuff. Interacting with newcomers and long-time sober members are both equally valuable to my sobriety. I doubt I would have kept going for this past year without SR.

Soberwolf 03-22-2015 09:04 AM

Congrats DG

silentrun 03-22-2015 09:06 AM

I agree..post..post..post. It kept me invested here and that is good especially early on.

DG0409 03-22-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5275526)
(Quick, just make 39 more posts in this thread; no one will notice!!)

There was a time when I would have done that just to avoid admitting I was wrong about something! Now I can just shrug it off. But I was thinking to spread the posts out over several different threads to seem less suspicious. :)

DG0409 03-22-2015 09:09 AM

Thanks soberwolf. BTW, love the winnie the pooh picture.

Hi silentrun- I remember you from my very first days here. Good to see you. :)

silentrun 03-22-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by DG0409 (Post 5275538)
Thanks soberwolf. BTW, love the winnie the pooh picture.

Hi silentrun- I remember you from my very first days here. Good to see you. :)

April of 2013 I was a hot mess.

PurpleKnight 03-22-2015 10:35 AM

Posting is definitely preferable to drinking!! :You_Rock_

MidnightBlue 03-22-2015 11:29 AM

Congrats, DG!

Glad to see you)

Gilmer 03-22-2015 11:33 AM

Early congratulations, DG! :)

SoberLeigh 03-22-2015 11:41 AM

Congratulations on all of those amazing accomplishments, DG!!!! Keep posting!!!!

Dee74 03-22-2015 03:49 PM

Glad to hear you're doing well DG :)
Congrats on those damn near 5000 posts too :D

D

Hevyn 03-22-2015 04:20 PM

Nice post DG - we're so glad to have you and your almost 5000 posts here at SR. :)

Thepatman 03-22-2015 04:30 PM

Thanks for sharing. 2 years is brilliant. You are getting out what you have put in with those countless posts.

Rock on

Zebra1275 03-22-2015 06:29 PM

I don't have 5000, but I'm getting there. Keeping active on SR is part of what I do to stay sober. I don't attend too many AA meetings anymore, I'm too busy.

DrakeCKC 03-22-2015 06:36 PM

Glad to see you DG! We have an anniversary coming up soon, can you believe it?

I don't post as often as I used to, but still make frequent visits here and check in.

Glad all is well with you, and glad I found this thread! (And I am still determined to not let you catch up with me... sorry! :) )

Take care! :hug:

IWLSAST 03-22-2015 06:42 PM

Oh my dearest Drummer Girl. I have always felt a special connection with you as we shared our experience, strength and hope mostly on the Undies thread together. Some lows - some highs...but mostly neutral. Net neutral is nice and a place I rarely if ever knew in active addiction.

It is sooo great that I get to share my 3000th post on the same thread that you hit the 5000 mark!

Of course you know that I jest. I would never jest regarding the the detailed way you went about recovery. I learned much from you and for that I will be forever grateful.

It is my hope that regardless of number of posts we have moving forward, we will always share a special bond for many years to come. I know, I know...in my case, not as many :).

You are the best!!

Your sober friend forever,

Carlos

DG0409 03-22-2015 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC (Post 5276506)
(And I am still determined to not let you catch up with me... sorry! :) )

Take care! :hug:

Good to see you too Drake!!

You know I'm going to keep trying to catch up!!!

DG0409 03-22-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by IWLSAST (Post 5276516)
Oh my dearest Drummer Girl. I have always felt a special connection with you as we shared our experience, strength and hope mostly on the Undies thread together. Some lows - some highs...but mostly neutral. Net neutral is nice and a place I rarely if ever knew in active addiction.

It is sooo great that I get to share my 3000th post on the same thread that you hit the 5000 mark!

Of course you know that I jest. I would never jest regarding the the detailed way you went about recovery. I learned much from you and for that I will be forever grateful.

It is my hope that regardless of number of posts we have moving forward, we will always share a special bond for many years to come. I know, I know...in my case, not as many :).

You are the best!!

Your sober friend forever,

Carlos

Hi Carlos. You're sweet as ever. Of course, I do have to disagree on one point. (Don't I always?) I think overall this recovery journey has been a huge net positive for both of us. :)

And congrats on those 3000 posts of yours!! ;)