Notices

5 months - first AA meeting

Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Aw guys - I'm so glad you're not just AI!

I'm up and ready. Really tired but got better directions and I'm gonna go. Thank you!

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday. I'll be back later to let you know how it went.

Thanks for being here <3
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sigh. That was awful. Awful awful awful.

No it wasn't that bad. Awful would be getting drunk because of this.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
as powerful as this place is, there is still a tremendous value to hearing the tenor of people's voices and laughing with them and feeling moved by them.... being there when the beaten newcomer shows up.... feeling the intensity of the one who has returned from a relapse.... being there for others... giving a hug and a medallion... holding hands in a circle.

We humans need human community - perhaps none moreso than those of us who have known the isolation of addiction.

Congratulations on 5 months and on taking this step.
Could not agree more - Tacit Knowledge......
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey guys - I attended the meeting in my city this morning and I'm happy to tell you I felt good by the end. Of course, all of your advice and words were true. It wasn't nearly as terrifying as I'd anticipated. I met some good people. Got a temporary sponsor and finally felt safe. The things people shared stunned me - purely because they were saying so much that I thought only I was experiencing. I was so sure, so so sure, I was the only one who felt these things. It's an amazing relief to know there are survivors, to see that people live through this and live well.

I am so grateful for every person in recovery who comes together to support each other, to teach us noobs, to share with each other so that we don't feel so isolated.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's an amazing relief to know there are survivors, to see that people live through this and live well.

I had a similar experience when I first went to AA. The fellowship of other AA members is great.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jdvivre View Post
Hey guys - I attended the meeting in my city this morning and I'm happy to tell you I felt good by the end. Of course, all of your advice and words were true. It wasn't nearly as terrifying as I'd anticipated. I met some good people. Got a temporary sponsor and finally felt safe. The things people shared stunned me - purely because they were saying so much that I thought only I was experiencing. I was so sure, so so sure, I was the only one who felt these things. It's an amazing relief to know there are survivors, to see that people live through this and live well.

I am so grateful for every person in recovery who comes together to support each other, to teach us noobs, to share with each other so that we don't feel so isolated.
I'm so pleased that it went well for you. Your observations about your first meeting really take me back for my first experiences of the rooms. I really look forward to meetings (usually 2 a week for me now), especially my home meeting which is full of such wonderful people and is like stepping into a warm bath.

Keep going back - it works if you work it xxx