Notices

Fat bloated unhappy:...

Old 03-20-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fat bloated unhappy:...

Drinking has made me so unhappy I have put on 28lbs in a year done loads of stupid things and got another criminal conviction as a direct result of my drinking... Iam deeply unhappy.

Iam on day 3 but it all seems too much like I have dug myself to deep to get out the weight is really depressing me and I think about that as much as the drinking believe it or not.

Iam still incredibly bloated and feeling awful still.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bloating will disappear if you keep on track and off the sauce. You got this
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Hercules. I know you're probably aware of this, but there are a load of people on SR who have drinking-related criminal convictions - me included. That doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Just hang out here and there will be some good advice.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The extra weight didn't appear overnight, Hercules.
Give it time, it will go. You'll become more active
and eat better.
As for the conviction, now that you're not
drinking, you shouldn't get another.
Onward to day 4!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very early in the proceedings Hercules...I'm sure you'll be able to lose the weight you want and a hundred other things besides....may take a little time and effort but it will happen

D
Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Hercules - as your name implies, I'm sure you're much stronger than you're currently giving yourself credit for.

There is a lot to be said for the healthy habits we all neglect in our dark times. Though I haven't dropped much weight while sober - I have enjoyed a lot of other benefits from hydration, exercise and eating lean green things. Learn to listen to your body. I'm sure right now it's gasping for water. Give it a bash.

Stay strong. As lunar said - the extra weight didn't appear over night. It seems like a long, arduous journey forward but remember, you're making a big change and you should be proud of that. One day at a time, my friend.

Love and strength to you x
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hercules

I could have written exactly the same thing 21 months ago!

I promise you this , I felt the same way , bloated , unmotivated , heavy in heart & weight, miserable at the thought of all that hard work ahead of me.

It would have just been easier to drink and ignore it.
28 pounds is doable Hun , it really is.

Once you stop drinking , you will get moving more , feel happier in yourself & not eat so much crap. It's a snowballing effect as once it starts coming off it won't take much to keep coming off.

I've lost 30 pounds just by not eating random junk after a binge & drinking more water.

I haven't made drastic changes , just smarter ones.

Once you set a goal of say losing 5 pounds , treat yourself with something nice , do realistic numbers.
You will start feeling lighter , the old you will start emerging again. You won't be ill through hangovers , you will be moving more .

I know you can do this cos it's time & you really want this.
It's the best thing I've ever done , for me , my family& my friends .

The old you will soon be the new you and it feels bloody great :-)

Good luck and message me if you like anytime , it's great to have support when youre trying to lose a bit of weight .

Good luck , you can do this xxxx
;-)))))
Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been dry four weeks on Tuesday and have so far lost 1 stone, 2 pounds.
I was drinking a bottle of vodka every night which works out to around 1600 calories. I got to 20 stone 5 pounds.
Stop drinking and it will fall off.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

when I was in similar circumstances, I found that there were two directions I could move....

further into the bloating despair...

or away from it.

Well, it took me a while. I had to go away from it, then back into it, then away from it, then back into it.....

But finally I learnt I could choose. I could choose the direction I would go, I could arm myself with the support to keep going, I could change the bloating, the fatness, the misery, the loathing, the sorrow and the hopelessness.

So.... I did.

So - it turns out - can you.

Well done on 3 days. Start by taking a long walk, TODAY. Move your body, keep on supporting sobriety.... you will be astonished at the YOU that you will come to know.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Hercules

welcome. I am a new recruit too. I am also someone who stacks on the pounds when I am on the lash! I drink a lot of beer and eat badly and too much.

When I first begin a period of abstinence I tend to eat even worse for a week or so as I have a lot of cravings for salty, sugary and fatty stuff. After a week or so, when the last hangover has faded, I usually change tack - eat better, move a lot more etc and the weight tends to suddenly start to shift and it keeps going. In my case, after about 3 weeks, I am starting to feel something like my normal self. I tend to celebrate with a night or two of beer and bad food and then oddly enough, I don't feel quite so good anymore...and my belt has tightened again!

Anyway, I am trying to break that cycle which is why I am here.

But, I does take me at least a week of being sober to even start to contemplate getting into better shape. Once I get going it actually tends to be easier than I thought.

Earlier this year, I stopped drinking for 3 weeks (I only binge at weekends anyway) and lost 12lbs in 3 weeks really without trying very hard.

We can do this! Let's give it some! :-)

CC
Old 03-21-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

walking in the beginning helps, then add more to your exercise routine.

Make routines, we are often very undisciplined people.....
Old 03-21-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

stay strong hercules. After years of heavy daily drinking, I finally decided to quit a little over 8 months ago. Since then i've lost 25 pounds, gotten the "all clear" on my fatty liver diagnosis, improved my complexion so now I don't look like a bloated red apple, and generally gotten happy again!

You can do this, it's within your power. The early days are tough with the weight of the world on you. Hang tough. Just don't drink today, then tomorrow, then the next... day by day. Everything else will fall into place.

You've got to want not to drink more than you want to drink. Keep a list of all the reasons why you hate drinking and remind yourself of those thoughts when your AV kicks in. It does get easier... you can never let your guard down, but it does get much easier, I promise.

Best wishes.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3 is still early days, it took us years of drinking to get to the point of quitting, it's going to take some time for the body to repair and heal!!

Hang in there!!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just keep riding the sobriety train. Things will get better in time.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with the consensus it will get a lot better over time
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am at 10 weeks sober and I have actually gained a little weight but I think that was because I was so unhealthy in my eating habits before. I do feel better than in years though.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Herc,

I lost 20 pounds in three months and I was only a weekend drinker - coupled with eating bad foods while drinking. I did get more serious about exercise as well. If you approach sobriety with eating and exercise discipline, the weight will fall off. You can do this!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

When I quit I had to realize that I could not make up for years of drinking in a few hours, days or months. I could rejuvenate body, mind and spirit but it does take time. There are no short cuts - even as much as I wanted them. As an alcoholic, I am highly impatient and want things now This is part of my emotional immaturity.

At 10 months I can share my experience is that many positive changes have occurred and keep occurring.

I stay sober one day a time, work on my faith of better things to come and have found a measure of peace today.

Thanks for the post!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Leave your record at the length it is. Stay stopped. You're going to get more charges if you continue to drink, and the AV is the one making you feel bad about all of this. Feeling guilt and shame leads us back to addiction faster than anything else. Let it to. We have all made mistakes when we were using.