Notices

About relapses...

Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
My goodness, I can't believe I'm today 35 days sober after 30+ years drinking! It's only my first time ever 'stopping'.
Hi Littlebear -

35 days is great news! Your body, mind, and self are healing themselves rapidly as we speak without anyone having to think about it. Yet the body, mind, and self can just as rapidly go nuts with addiction in a relapse (as I have experienced) without any conscious or special effort.

Why all these seemingly automatic processes? There must be much out of sight and "under the hood" in human construction that accounts for both the dramatically good and the dramatically bad. It really is quite curious and interesting.

Mel
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi all. Although I don't (yet?) contribute much to the forums in posts...I do - like a lot of others read constantly. This helps me loads. I notice lots of you who have a lot of experience of trying to abstain...talking about the relapses getting worse. So my question is...why do relapses get worse? Why when you try to quit is it difficult, but them after a time if you drink then stop again is it likely to be so much more difficult?

I'm not thinking of starting drinking again (soooo...grateful for that) but intrested in the surety of which many of you have that the more your relapse the worse it gets?
Speaking only from my own experience, it gets more difficult for me after a relapse because it weakens my resolve. It weakens my belief in my ability to quit and stay quit. It's like I mock myself whenever I try to find that strength again. That's why this time, I've decided to give AA a try. I've not done so well trying to do it all on my own. Having that group connection with others who get it and have experienced the same thing, not only helps me to not feel so alone with it, but holds me accountable. I'm just learning what it means to approach all this from a spiritual vantage point, which I've never done, and I believe that can be beneficial as well.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all. Although I don't (yet?) contribute much to the forums in posts...I do - like a lot of others read constantly. This helps me loads. I notice lots of you who have a lot of experience of trying to abstain...talking about the relapses getting worse. So my question is...why do relapses get worse? Why when you try to quit is it difficult, but them after a time if you drink then stop again is it likely to be so much more difficult?

I'm not thinking of starting drinking again (soooo...grateful for that) but intrested in the surety of which many of you have that the more your relapse the worse it gets?
I have not relapsed so I'm not sure why it is harder the second time. The understanding of relapse does not rank high in my book. My concern is what I can do to stay SOBER and not Relapse.

Have a great day!