Notices

I didn't know i had a problem

Old 03-20-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I also quit drinking for medical reasons. Turns out, I prefer being sober!

I decided to stick with recovery, even after the medical reasons were resolved. My inability to quit when it was a very serious issue indicated to me that I had a problem, even though I didnt have that "unquenchable thirst" that Hawks describes.

I needed alcohol to unwind, & that's simply not who I want to be. Sobriety is expanding my life, rather that contracting it.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was also given a serious health diagnosis and still had a hell of a time stopping drinking.

I used to have this little movie scene in my mind of what when happen when that day came:

The scene: I'm sitting in a doctor's office. Doctor comes in. Dramatic music plays. He tells me I will die if I continue drinking. I burst into my tears and my need to drink disappears and I never think about drinking again.

Wrong! I was drinking again within a week. And, I continued for another year.

A health diagnosis can't make you stop but you just have to.

I was finally able to stop when I couldn't take the hangovers anymore. I couldn't live through one more.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in and let you know that a health diagnosis doesn't always remove our craving. You're not crazy, you're an addict. Non-addicts would never touch alcohol again after a health diagnosis.

I am an smart, wise, and thoughtful person but alcohol addiction blurred all the lines. It truly kicked my a**. I am such a rule follower that I've never even had a speeding ticket. I follow the rules. With alcohol? Nope. I never thought I'd be the person to continue drinking but I was....Don't push it as far as I did.

You can do this.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Prometheusfire. You found a great place for encouragement as you get yourself healthy. I'm very happy you joined us.