Notices

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise... just wanting support.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just figured I would update.

3rd day 100% sober. Actually easier then I expected, other then one moment of almost giving in, and being absolutely bored out of my mind. So many things I feel like I can't do unless I'm having a few.

It's been years since I've been 3 days sober. Anyway thanks everyone for letting me reach out here.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 3

D
Old 03-22-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
So this weekend is the first time I will officially be on call for work. I have to answer no matter what time or place. I can't leave cell service etc....

Work is the only thing I will stay sober for. I am hoping this is a blessing in disguise. I hope this is the time I will go 3+ days without the bottle. I hope that I will be forced to cope with life without alcohol for long enough to see that I will not have life threatening withdrawals and discover that I can defeat this addiction.

On the flip side I am already thinking we'll if I do drink I could...... this or that would be ok..... this time is probably best to get my fix.........

Sorry I know I am the reason I am in this spot where I'm backed up to the edge of this cliff. I am just looking for advice or support. Anything.

I understand I don't have alot to offer to this forum and I'm sorry. I'm not 6 months or 6 years sober. I haven't made it to day 3 in forever. I feel like all I ever do is come on her to ask for help or gripe about my problems. But I do read every reply. I file it away and add it to my ammunition Because I still feel like this is something I can do. Thank you all for a great place to turn to.
One day at a time....
Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is what you said

I suggested that you should look at asking for help as self improvement - it's ultimately of benefit for you...and from one who's been there it's actually a strength not the weakness I used to see it as.

You seem to be presenting asking for help as something to avoid if possible, maybe something to be ashamed of?

If you're in danger of drowning I think it's a bloody good idea to start rocking the boat to attract attention?

D
^^ This

Don't be scared to ask for help - there is no way I could have stayed sober for any length of time without bucket loads of it!

Your story about needing to be available at a moments notice for work is a very fimilar one. I used to work on call 1 week per month and it was literally hell for me. I would limit it to 2 or 3 beers and turn the phone off for a couple of hours. Turn it back on and if nessary head into work to do the needful, praying that I was under the drink drive limit. Then it was back home to repeat the whole thing. Insane. By the end of the week I was completely exhausted, not from hard work but from the effort required to (sort of) control my drinking for those few days.

Your approach of not drinking at all is a much safer one. Hopefully you'll experience some of the benefits of staying sober and move on from there
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is what you said

You seem to be presenting asking for help as something to avoid if possible, maybe something to be ashamed of?

D
Yea definitely. It's a stigma that's hard to make go away.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Huh. So you plan on getting sober before you ask for help to get sober?
I think I misunderstood your question. What I meant was I want to wait till I absolutely have to ask for help. Because I'm scared if I do and do not succeed then the help might not be there next time.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

not asking for help because if you fail you may not get help sounds to me suspiciously like addictive voice way of thinking that supports the status quo Vendetta.

but...it's your journey

Seeing as it's gonna be you lone wolf style, what kind of plan do you have worked out so far?

D
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Apparently not a good enough one