SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The trigger, the gun, the whole damn SWAT team. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362554-trigger-gun-whole-damn-swat-team.html)

thomas11 03-20-2015 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5271389)
just a reference to male deer fighting, Thomas.

I think you're scared Thomas - and while you feel things are still 'manageable' that fear is going to try and get you to put off permanent decision for change for another day.

The problem with that is things can go from manageable to completely unmanageable very fast.

I speak with some authority here cos I was very much like you.

I lost a lot of the things I loved and cherished - but I kept rationalising things were still manageable.

Trust me, This is not a passive condition.

Every drink you take, every week that goes by, your addiction progresses.

D

ps you're very welcome to continue to post here. I believe you know the right things to do even if you find yourself unable to take your own advice right now.

Thanks Dee, you can call me Jeff, as that is my real name. Today is a new day. There is an upside to last night, and that is the Iowa Hawykeye wrestlers (who we hate) completely crapped the bed, they all lost. It was wonderful.

Dee74 03-20-2015 06:39 AM

I got into the habit of using the user names as a general guideline cos sometimes later on people freak out about anonymity - but sure Jeff :)

D

SoberLeigh 03-20-2015 09:42 AM

Hi, Jeff.

Good to see you.

JT0626 03-20-2015 10:08 AM

Jeff, that sounds like your AV & you are believing the nonsense it is feeding you.

courage2 03-20-2015 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5271353)
I will be as truthful as I can. I am not ready to commit to 100% sobriety. I have not experienced consequences of my actions, except for a mild hangover and lastly, at times I believe I've "earned" some downtime to relax.

Thomas, I've been reading along with your posts most days. I'm confused now. If you're not ready to commit and believe you've "earned" continued drinking, why have you posted >300 times in less than a month to a website called soberrecovery? There's a mismatch, no?

wehav2day 03-20-2015 10:26 AM

Jeff, I'm rooting for you man.

I must admit I'm missing the link between being the elite athlete that you have been and drinking as you cheer your guys on.

You can pour it out and enjoy the matches, Jeff, I know you can. You'll actually enjoy them more sober.

Northlander 03-20-2015 01:08 PM

I'm a Minnesota alum myself and our mascot, Goldie the Golden Gopher says...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boa...atar2535_1.gif

"Dump the booze, already."

thomas11 03-20-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by courage2 (Post 5271778)
Thomas, I've been reading along with your posts most days. I'm confused now. If you're not ready to commit and believe you've "earned" continued drinking, why have you posted >300 times in less than a month to a website called soberrecovery? There's a mismatch, no?

When you figure me out, let me know. I haven't done it yet.

courage2 03-20-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 5272167)
When you figure me out, let me know. I haven't done it yet.

Sorry, I don't figure things out anymore. I quit. I quit drinking, too. Quit is the operative word.

Hevyn 03-20-2015 03:56 PM

Jeff, I felt the same way once - knew I was probably headed for trouble, but not ready to commit. I never dreamed I'd allow myself to become totally dependent on it. I was always going to stop before I reached that point - but I couldn't. In my 40's I was drinking all day. It was hell to try and get off it at that point. We're trying to help you avoid that fate.

Della1968 03-20-2015 04:29 PM

I hope you reconsider I used to think everything triggered me....now I know I just wanted to drink and those triggers were just an excuse to do so. I knew I had a problem in my mid 30's and still carried on for a decade. If I would have stopped then I would have avoided a lot of pain for myself and my loved ones. It was always going to be just one more event or one more weekend....then it was every day.