SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Threads for young adults( not being disrespectful) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362425-threads-young-adults-not-being-disrespectful.html)

ipaidwithmylife 03-18-2015 09:45 AM

Threads for young adults( not being disrespectful)

Hi, so I was just wondering if there's a special help-section on this site, for people in their late teens/early twenties, who are dealing with the consequences of alcohol. It is in NO way my intention to discriminate, as everyone on here has been really helpful in diminishing my anxieties so far.:tyou soo much once again!

I sometimes just worry that I did too much damage and that I won't recover, cause my body isn't fully developped yet( I'm 21 going on 22 and binge-drank for a little over a year, in case you haven't heard my story.) and would like to hear of some coping/ healing methods from people around the same age-range. I know of adults who've bounced back from the dangers of alcohol, from what I've read on here, but I don't know what it'll be like for someone my own age. This is just a big concern and question for me, at the moment.

And before anyone recommends going to the doctor: I did! I got checked out and they found nothing unusual. Yet, at the same time: I have chest aches at night, which make it hard to sleep and my brain tingles/tickles, on occasion.

I'm no hypochondriac, but I have a gut-feeling something is off. I get more and more worried as the days pass by and I'm not in a good place, right now. I also feel very disconnected to reality, like I don't even exist anymore.

Thepatman 03-18-2015 09:47 AM

Solutions work for all ages.

And I'm vintage btw, not old ok! LOL!

Fandy 03-18-2015 09:51 AM

Go BACK to your doctor and tell him your concerns. i really don't think you can "feel" your brain "tingle" but you might feel better after a neurological consult...Your anxiety and tension could possibly be relieved by having some good one to one counseling.
Your exam, history and physical were normal, this is a blessing. your blood work was normal?

maybe you can stop focusing on what is wrong and be glad that things are good for your check up?

Anna 03-18-2015 09:52 AM

Feel free to start a thread if you like, but no we don't have a section designated for young people.

Alcoholism really includes all of us of any age and I believe we have more similarities than differences.

PurpleKnight 03-18-2015 09:54 AM

Not that I know of, there's no age specific areas, other than those for length of Sobriety in the daily support threads.

However if you start a thread on a particular topic specific to a certain age group, then you're likely to get responses of experience from those within that age group as well as other ages, so a different means to the same end!! :)

doggonecarl 03-18-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ipaidwithmylife (Post 5267393)
And before anyone recommends going to the doctor: I did! I got checked out and they found nothing unusual.

I thought you said you doctor thought you might be severely depressed. That's something. I'd follow that up.

Kafkaesque 03-18-2015 09:56 AM

Hi Ipaid,

I can only speak of my experience but I'm 23 (turning 24 next month) and realized I was an alcoholic about a year ago. I started to binge drink when I was 19 and it only got progressively worse, especially after I turned 21. I have also seen a doctor who said everything was normal, but I have awful acid reflux and feel exhausted almost every day. The thing of it is, our bodies took a toll when we drank like we did and it won't be overnight for our bodies to fully recover. But if you feel something is really off, you should go back and see your dr again or maybe even think about seeing a new doctor who might take extra time just because they don't know you. Have you spoken to your doctor about your drinking?

I can relate to what you mean about feeling disconnected from reality. But for me, I've realized that's just because I haven't been sober for an extended period of time before. Im still discovering who I am sober and learning how my life is different now that I am sober. Over time I think you just begin to get acclimated with how life is sober and how great it really is :)

ipaidwithmylife 03-18-2015 10:02 AM

Doggonecarl: Yes, but when I said nothing unusual, I really meant physically. Alll I know is that my thinking is terribly disturbed at the moment. I can hardly function or find energy to do really small things. I don't know what to THINK of it anymore( pun). And then I'm confused, because my doctor said I didn't drink THAT much and that it hasn't been going on for long enough, but I just... I feel what I feel and experience what I experience.

ipaidwithmylife 03-18-2015 10:30 AM

It's just difficult to tell, what's stress related and what's alcohol-related. When I'd just finished drinking about two months ago( the all-too-dangerous holidays), I had slight brain-fog, which worried me, so I quit, PRONTO! I decided to turn my life around and began a very healthy diet. I felt very demoted, guilty and sad though, so I didn't really go out and do much(eg: excercise, learn new stuff) I did play brain games, but it was all very passive and on the computer, so yeah.

Then, a month ago I had a check-up at the hospital, but I didn't tell the truth about my drinking. Yet, everything, even the CT of my brain, came out normal. But about two weeks ago: I got chest-pains at night and my memory didn't seem the same. So this week I got another HONEST check-up: the result was the same. I just want this to get better, even if it is only by 5 %, it would already be a huge relief.

I thought things would get better, once you gave up drinking, but in my case, they seem to only get worse. :c001: I just don't have the energy to fight it or pick up anything anymore, cause I can hardly concentrate.

rockstonic 03-18-2015 10:58 AM

Hey ipaidwithmylife! I'm a little older at 26 but I too am a binge drinker who started drinking around 18/19 and drank hard, vomiting blood, etc. I was convinced that I had done something physically to myself that I couldn't turn around. Feelings of unreality, horrible acid reflux, general fogginess, chest pain, tingling in my hands, etc. Periods of sobriety were frustrating because those things weren't getting better and I was convinced they would never get better. Turns out I was severely depressed and anxious. When I came clean about all that I started working with my doctors to combat the real issue (depression and anxiety) and miraculously a lot of my physical symptoms have started going away. Depression can have really strange effects on you physically and I can really relate to a lot of the things you describe. So do follow up on that!

Soberwolf 03-18-2015 11:10 AM

Have you spoke to a Dr ?

LBrain 03-18-2015 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque (Post 5267435)
Hi Ipaid,

I can only speak of my experience but I'm 23 (turning 24 next month)...

I can relate to what you mean about feeling disconnected from reality. But for me, I've realized that's just because I haven't been sober for an extended period of time before. Im still discovering who I am sober and learning how my life is different now that I am sober. Over time I think you just begin to get acclimated with how life is sober and how great it really is :)

And there it is.

It's not like they put you under and perform an operation and you wake up the Six Million Dollar Man.

immri 03-18-2015 02:40 PM

Well, im not much older than you I just turned 24 around Christmas, so you're welcome to pm me anytime for age-specific stuff
I first came here when I was 21 I think, but I didn't really stop and in the last few years everything has gotten so much worse
I understand trying to find people you're own age to relate to, I don't think there's anything wrong with that! I know it's something I reaally appreciate about the AA meetings I go to, there are a few people my age and yes it does sometimes make a big difference.
Generally though I think somewhere like SR the support and advice is the same no matter the age. Maybe if you have a specific age related question or concern you could start a thread about that? Although if your questions are all medical you should really see your doctor again I agree, and keep going until all your concerns are explained!! I only recently learned this, but you do actually have to be insistent with Drs when something 'feels off', they aren't psychic :)
About doing too much damage too young though, I do worry the same sometimes, but ill really have to wait and see until I've been sober a good period of time

Jdvivre 03-19-2015 08:51 AM

Hi iPaid,
I'm a little older too (25) and 5 months sober. Quite well versed in depression/anxiety stuff too. Feel free to message if you need a buddy to talk things through with. Don't have many answers but do have experience to share.

Are/were you on any antidepressants? I had similar sensations coming off them many years ago.