SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help: liver pain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362423-help-liver-pain.html)

hiimbryan1 03-18-2015 09:28 AM

Help: liver pain

Has anyone early on experience fairly intense liver pain... At night it's keeping me awake worse then the shakes and anxiety. Over the years I've tried quitting before and got the normal withdrawal symptoms, however never pain like this.

:wild

MIRecovery 03-18-2015 09:37 AM

My advice would be see a professional for the pain and the drinking.

In my drinking days I would have ignored this advice because I didn't want to quit drinking and I didn't want to know how sick I was.

Today in sobriety my various ailments have vanished and I'm happier than I've ever been

Soberwolf 03-18-2015 09:39 AM

Definatly see a dr

Sasha4 03-18-2015 09:41 AM

How do you know for sure it's your liver?

Thepatman 03-18-2015 09:45 AM

Like others see a Doctor.

Do you have a plan to stay quit? Some of the damage might be reversed, if you stay sober.

During my active days, after a binge I once had terrible liver pain. I know how painful it can be.

Kris175 03-18-2015 09:47 AM

Hi,
Generally, liver doesn't feel pain even if it is severely damaged. That's the tricky thing because it can be extensively destroyed before you know it (and usually it is too late).
In my opinion it is a gallbladder stone especially if the pain is excrutiating. Is the pain located on the right side just before the ribcage? Radiating to the back?
However, it can also be caused by something else like pancreatitis (in this case the pain concentrates on the left side of the abdomen, but there are no strict rules). There can be other causes as well.
Anyway, my advice is that you should contact your doctor asap. Do not wait.
Kris

hiimbryan1 03-18-2015 09:48 AM

I think so, spent a bunch of time researching and didn't find much in regards to liver pain and withdrawal. The only thing I can think of is it's a "fatty liver"

1Datatime 03-18-2015 09:48 AM

Go right to the doctor. My husband had severe pain in his stomach area and it turned out to be his pancreas. Had to be treated in the hospital.

hiimbryan1 03-18-2015 09:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm going to go see my doctor on Friday.

Kris175 03-18-2015 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by hiimbryan1 (Post 5267405)
I think so, spent a bunch of time researching and didn't find much in regards to liver pain and withdrawal. The only thing I can think of is it's a "fatty liver"

I'm in Canada, so for me to see my GP DR would probably take a week, trying to decide if I should just deal with the pain.

I don't think it is a good idea researching on your own (especially in the internet). It requires additional testing like blood test, ultrasound etc.
My doctor says that pain located in the abdominal cavity should not be ignored. Especially in people drinking excessively.
Seek professional help, my advice.

Anna 03-18-2015 10:10 AM

Please do not ask for or give Medical advice.

PurpleKnight 03-18-2015 10:24 AM

Could be a multitude of reasons, check in with a Dr to be safe!! :)