SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   just checking in... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362397-just-checking.html)

ramius 03-18-2015 02:11 AM

just checking in...

no drinks since sunday night. No real urges. Some pretty scary dreams/ lack of sleep last night. otherwise all is well. Everyone have a great day.

anattaboy 03-18-2015 03:23 AM

Congrats ramius! I think the vivid dreaming and sketchy sleep are normal for most of us--very temporary. It only gets better and better from here.

soberclover 03-18-2015 03:48 AM

Keep strong ramius!! This time of year is a bugger for us in the Northeast....that arctic air aiming straight at us it seems. Spring will be here and it will be so great to notice it with fresh and sober eyes and mind :)

BernieE 03-18-2015 04:14 AM

Well done! You can do this. Remember, one day at a time. Cliche but oh so true.

FreeOwl 03-18-2015 04:16 AM

way to go!!!

keep it up.

:)

Nowsthetime 03-18-2015 05:16 AM

I commend you for checking in. That was part of my initial plan, posting and staying accountable to myself.

Stay close, we want to hear how it's going.

PurpleKnight 03-18-2015 07:39 AM

Great stuff Ramius!! Keep pushing through!! :)

Dee74 03-18-2015 01:41 PM

good for you ramius :)

D

Soberwolf 03-18-2015 01:55 PM

Good work Ramius

Calitano 03-18-2015 02:23 PM

Good going. Keep checking in and keep on keeping on :-)

ramius 03-18-2015 05:46 PM

yeah, its been a good day. no issues at all. It is somewhat scary to know I can go from absolute binge drinking to nothing for a few days, only because I know it could just as easily go the other way. I even made a pita bread chicken/bacon/ranch pizza tonight. Amazingly it came out pretty darn good. Never would've bothered with that had I been drinking.

Have a nice night folks.

LBrain 03-18-2015 06:03 PM

wow ramius, I just read your story...

are you sure you are ready to defect this time?

I agree, there is a difference between wanting to and needing to. Sometimes the difference is so little it is just a matter of convincing yourself. When I quit, I really needed to quit. But it wasn't the need to quit that motivated me. It was the wanting to quit that sealed the deal.

You are gonna 'hear' this a lot here: The only thing that works is wanting to stay sober more than you want to drink. And that is an elementary fact. Quitting is easy. I know a number of people who have quit at least 20 times already. The trick is staying quit. I hope you are prepared to stick this out. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.

ramius 03-18-2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 5268387)
wow ramius, I just read your story...

are you sure you are ready to defect this time?

I agree, there is a difference between wanting to and needing to. Sometimes the difference is so little it is just a matter of convincing yourself. When I quit, I really needed to quit. But it wasn't the need to quit that motivated me. It was the wanting to quit that sealed the deal.

You are gonna 'hear' this a lot here: The only thing that works is wanting to stay sober more than you want to drink. And that is an elementary fact. Quitting is easy. I know a number of people who have quit at least 20 times already. The trick is staying quit. I hope you are prepared to stick this out. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.

I think most people would agree that its caused me enough trouble already.

I'm not here to quit for a few days, believe me. Nobody has ever been forced to drink. Tempted, prompted, prodded, encouraged, ... sure. But never forced. It is either an easy choice to drink, or sometimes, it can be a hard choice to not drink. But it is a choice either way, and we all make it each day. Better or worse.