Notices

Bruises

Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cowgirlie View Post
Is it also common to struggle to get past a particular stage?
It's common to struggle, period.

One way people struggle is overcoming a certain number of sober days before failing. A self-fulfilling prophecy. Saying you can't get past the two-week mark is the same as telling your addiction that you are going to drink in two weeks. Same result.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

KeepTrucking - thanks for the reply; I can identify with the weekend thing.

And yes I am trying to tell myself tiny positives/excuses that
a) it was 1 night (so in total 1 night in 18 which my liver prefers to 10-15 nights);
b) it didn't set me off unravelling for several nights/weeks;
c) I came straight back here and 'fessed up;
d) on the night in question it was a BBQ and I did procrastinate, putting off drinking for about an hour by sorting the food in the kitchen after I had the idea, as my conscience was sitting there arms folded telling me not to... that's never really happened before (I guess that is the time to sneak away and post in here??)

Anyway just trying to stay positive tho I know these probably read as excuses to those long-time sober and fed up of reading stories of 'timewasters' like me! :-/

Mesaman that's a very good point about thinned blood; I had not thought of that. I have not bruised like this in over a decade and they are in weird shapes/places. Gosh your story was scary. After wine I once reached into a travel bad for my toothbrush and sliced the tip of my thumb off on an uncovered razor; it bled and bled for hours bleughhhh. To be fair that was just an ordinary accident that could have happened to anyone at anytime but still; needed special seaweed bandages to heal.

Carl, Cam, thanks for the input. Agree it does sound like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I guess I don't really have much faith/conviction/belief in myself to be able to really do this, yet I've now had 3 big red flags in just 3 months that I really need to. I've been a member here for 9 months (though absent for about 6) and will be 36 this year. The time is now.