Notices

Checking in - Day 2

Old 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in - Day 2

I'm trying to keep up on checking in here every day so that I make sure I'm on top of my sobriety. Today was a good day, no inclination to drink, although I am still feeling the effects of the weekend (tired, sore, a little ill). I don't usually care to drink during the week, though. But I still want to post when I'm feeling good, just to get in the habit.

I'm worrying about the future. Mainly that I have plans to go camping with friends in May. They will definitely want to drink and my husband might, too. He is very supportive of me and I think if I really make it clear that I don't want him to, he won't, but even so I'm not sure if I will be able to handle it. I'm not ready to discuss the severity of my decision to my friends yet, so I don't know what to do. It is a ways off, so I will give myself a week or two to think it over, but I'm very worried about going. I also don't want to bail on our plans and leave them in the lurch, but I suppose that is definitely secondary to the sobriety.

How long did all of you take before you felt comfortable being around people drinking? I definitely don't want to be in that situation now and even feeling better in a few months, camping is different than meeting people for dinner or whatever, because I won't just be able to LEAVE if I'm feeling anxious. I like having an exit strategy, which might be hard when we are supposed to be going 3 hours away.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you recognize that this will be an issue for you. For me, it was about ten months before I felt comfortable around alcohol. I tried it early on, at a neighborhood party. I didn't drink at the party but was insanely miserable. The next morning the first thing I did was go out to buy wine. I realized it just wasn't worth it. You're right you have time and don't need to decide yet, but as you said, it will be a situation where you can't leave. Maybe you can talk it over with your husband?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Keeptruckin, I just re-read your post from yesterday. It sounded like you just got done with feeling very crappy. This is just me, but I'd pass on the camping trip. I just would.

The reason I say this is that if you don't drink, you may not have much fun cause everyone else is. And if you do drink, well that's a few weeks of sobriety down the tube, and you'll be pissed that you drank. And you will likely feel really crappy again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! Day 2 is fantastic!!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good thing about it being in May is you'll have time to cancel of you feel it's too much to ask.

Don't worry about leaving other people 'in the lurch' - I'm sure they'll have a good time regardless - think of yourself and your recovery

D
Old 03-17-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2 i agree with D's advice