SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Facing Reality (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362346-facing-reality.html)

betterthiings 03-17-2015 02:28 PM

Facing Reality

I am in my early 40s and have been a heavy drinker since I was 18.

Alcoholism hasn't stopped me getting three university degrees and having a successful career as a senior partner in a professional services firm. But it is slowly killing me I think.

The ability to function while hungover has allowed me to hide from the truth for a very, very long time. But the truth is that almost every day I drink at lunch and almost every night I drink a bottle of wine and about half a bottle of Armagnac. And just about every second week I have at least one serious binge, that usually commences with a boozy lunch and ends with some memory loss.

Almost every morning I wake feeling very sick from a hangover and take codeine and pseudoephedrine to "manage" the symptoms and allow me to function.

I first admitted to myself that I had a serious problem around 6 years ago, after I was admitted to hospital after drinking myself senseless at a work Christmas party. I managed my drinking much better for a while, but it is out of control again now.

I joined these forums in 2012 when things were spiraling out of control again on the booze (and at that time marijuana) front, and again I tidied up for a while.

I have a wonderful wife and gorgeous kids and it is long past time I grew up and kicked my addiction to alcohol. Having a cellar with a few thousand bottles of very expensive Italian and French wine doesn't help, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to be that civilized chap who can enjoy a glass over dinner and leave it at that.

Anyway, this time I've decided to emerge from the shadows and share my journey publicly (albeit anonymously), to encourage me and make me feel a sense of accountability. Thanks in advance for the support and I'll let you know how I go. Hoping this post will be a turning point I can look back on and that I never have another hangover.

least 03-17-2015 02:31 PM

Welcome! :) I hope the support here can help you get sober for good. :)

PurpleKnight 03-17-2015 02:31 PM

Welcome to the Forum Betterthiings!! :wave:

You can turn this around, and you'll find loads of support here on SR to help you achieve it!! :)

Justincredible 03-17-2015 02:35 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Soberwolf 03-17-2015 02:40 PM

Welcome Betterthings

Aellyce 03-17-2015 02:41 PM

Hi betterthiings.

Welcome to SR :) I really relate to your post. Everything looking relatively shiny and successful on the surface, but very dark in my own (secret) reality... Just like you, I also admitted to myself clearly that I had a serious drinking problem about 6 years before I truly did something about it. I also sometimes took stimulants to be able to stand up to my demanding work schedules in some periods, and sometimes they really messed with me especially mixed with alcohol.

I quit drinking just a little before I turned 40 (close to 14 months now) and I would never go back to my old ways for anything. Do it now, it's a perfect time, before any significant losses would occur. I've pretty much found the solution to my drinking problem via SR, give it a chance!

~Lia~ 03-17-2015 02:42 PM

I found support here, and I hope you find it as well. We all have that one thing in common that no one else can understand

ccam1973 03-17-2015 02:48 PM

Welcome to SR Betterthiings. Great community with a ton of support here.

Your story sounds a lot like mine and others here. I'm in my early 40's, have a great wife, two beautiful kids, awesome and well paying job. Outside of my current sobriety, I have been drinking since around 18. My drinking evolved from enjoyable to life threatening throughout 20+ years. in 2007 I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease which is when I cut out all hard liquor and replaced it with beer and wine! Lol, its funny to ever see how I could rationalize that. I had trouble even catching a buzz after drinking a case of beer or a whole "box" of wine a few years later.

A couple years ago I started drinking earlier and earlier in the day. That led to drinking in the mornings on weekends and late mornings / early afternoons at the office. To the outside world, I was still functioning, but I new the truth and it was literally killing me.

I finally quit for good 253 days ago today.

You can do it, there are plenty of stories here that will give you hope.

I would have never made it without the SR community.

It helped me to read as many threads as possible early on and post often.

Best of luck, we are here to help!

Latte 03-17-2015 03:07 PM

I am so glad you are here.

thomas11 03-17-2015 03:17 PM

Sorry to ask this question but after reading many posts, how do people get away with drinking at lunch?

I own my own business (construction related) and this would never fly. two years ago a caught a couple guys having a beer at lunch (in a restaurant) I told them it was the first and last time they would drink at work.

betterthiings 03-17-2015 03:19 PM

Thomas11

In my industry boozy lunches are an accepted part of the marketing process and a way to manage and entrench client relationships.

ladybug77 03-17-2015 03:24 PM

Welcome to SR betterthings!

Hevyn 03-17-2015 03:37 PM

Great to meet you betterthiings. You're among people who understand and care. You can do it!

nymets86 03-17-2015 03:53 PM

Betterthiings, I can relate. I'm 29 and am working my way through a graduate degree while working full time in financial services. I never got to drinking every day, but pretty much every other day. I'd use about three Advil and a caffeine pill to wake me up the nights after drinking so I could get to work on time and function. Would take two caffeine pills on days I had class after work.

I too drank mysef senseless (at a sporting event) in 2013 and while I managed to get into a taxi somehow and into my neighborhood, I woke up in the ER. Regrettably, I drank again the following night, but after a bad binge in June of last year, I'd had enough of the blackouts. After 30 days sober, I sorta felt cured and started drinking in moderation, with a bit of success at first. I think I was just itching to get hammered tho and then while out with friends in October, got so drunk I passed out on the subway and woke up in the hospital. That kept me sober about a week and November/December were really a blur, drinking heavily, often alone, two to three nights a week. January I was out of the country for two weeks and managed to cut down a bit while in Australia of all places, but when I got back, I had bad jetlag and just work/school/relationship induced stress by drinking heavily. Then lo and behold, out watching sports with my friends four weeks ago today, I got obliterated while celebrating after an exciting game and passed out in the hallway of my apartment building. Woke up in the hospital for the third time.

Today was a minefield for me with co-workers and clients (I have the expense account and have a big budget to treat clients) asking to go out for St. patty's.

Welcome to SR! I find it good to come on here and vent (kinda like I just did), when I fee cravings and just reiterate to myself why I simply cannot drink at all.

Dee74 03-17-2015 05:53 PM

Welcome back betterthiings :)

Gonnachange 03-18-2015 06:11 AM

Welcome.

Jupiters 03-18-2015 06:27 AM

welcome BT!

it's pretty awesome to not have hangovers. Like, REALLY awesome! :)

chordcowboy 03-18-2015 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by betterthiings (Post 5265674)

But the truth is that almost every day I drink at lunch and almost every night I drink a bottle of wine and about half a bottle of Armagnac. And just about every second week I have at least one serious binge, that usually commences with a boozy lunch and ends with some memory loss.

Hi betterthiings and welcome.

I am very new here too but not new to trying to change my drinking. I read your quote above. We get used to drinking large quantities as normal, don't we? But the truth is that your daily intake is actually a serious binge - let alone your fortnightly blowout!

The great news about this is that, after a while, the extent to which you could feel better in your daily life is almost unlimited - given time.

I used to work in a sphere where it was common to have boozy lunches and nights with clients. It has only been since I started to drastically cut down my own drinking that I realised how much more boozy my client lunches were than those of my colleagues. I thought everyone was the same but it turned out to be a bit of an observer's paradox.

Anyway, great that you are here. I have decided to stop after a long taper. The contrast between sober periods and 'sessions' is now so marked that is a no brainer for me. Doesn't mean I won't stuff up but right now I am accepting of the fact that I am not a slow glass of wine kind of a chap either - except in my most airbrushed fantasies! :-)

Best of luck to you, sir, from someone else just getting out of the blocks.

Chordcowboy

betterthiings 03-19-2015 07:50 AM

About to enter day 3. Have been very motivated by the support shown here. The insomnia is awful, a headache is a constant companion and my throat feels like I've been grabbed and shaken, but otherwise the detox symptoms aren't too bad.

Looking forward to some sleep, but determined it'll be real sleep when it arrives and not to induce it with a chemical. In the meantime I will just keep reading SR until my body learns how to function sober.

SarahB60 03-19-2015 08:07 AM

Welcome betterthiings! Glad you're here.

You should call a Dr or go to the ER if you start having bad detox symptoms like sweating, anxiety and heart racing (BP will elevate too). Day 3 is usually the peak. Detoxing alone is not something to mess with.