Notices

Bliss

Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bliss

Almost 5 months sober. Never been clean this long and I wouldn't swap this for anything.
I really think going sober is almost like growing up. I look at my old drinking behaviour as a rebel teenager. I did drink from my teens so for decades. It has been an interesting journey of self discovery. I was freaking out about how I would cope at certain situations without booze. Now I can see how it was my addiction talking.
I am living a normal life where there has been alcohol around. Had a friend stay Saturday night. I hadn't seen her since well before rehab and going sober. She knew of my history. She asked if she was OK to bring a bottle of wine. I said No problem at all. She couldn't believe the physical transformation in me when she saw me. We chatted for hours and she was drinking her bottle of red wine. We talked about my sobriety/recovery etc. She said how calm and relaxed I had become. My inner glow was contagious she said. I said I truly enjoyed being sober more than drinking.
I said that her drinking the wine did not bother me one bit. I said I truly saw what alcohol was and that I was happy to be sober.
To be here today and feel the way I do is priceless. I do not dwell on how I am an alcoholic and all the negativity that goes with it. I happened to become addicted to a highly addictive substance freely available. We are encouraged to drink at every occasion in life. If you become addicted to the stuff then Hey you are an alcoholic and looked down on. Go figure.
I want an AF life now. I never did in my past 2 attempts. Not whole heartedly. There is nothing that alcohol could add to my life now. On the contrary my health would go backwards I would gain weight again and become a neurotic mess. No thank you.
It really is a bliss to enjoy a sober life. Bliss.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful post. Congrats.

At almost a year I had a similar experience today. Truly a revelation. Moments of what I can only call borderline transcendence.

So grateful, so relieved. Keep it moving, it gets better.
​​​​​
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That’s amazing that you made it to 5 months. It’s been 8 days for me, and I’m looking forward to the sober road ahead. Congrats!!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That is wonderful news, sydneyman! 5 months is fabulous.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 03-24-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Syd,

well done sir.

Great and inspired post.

I relapsed way too many times. At 5 months I was still in a horrid hole.

These days I am doing very well though. I am still getting used to feeling normal almost all the time. In the past, my av used feeling normal as a reason to drink.

Now I know it was all a subliminal tactic my addiction used to keep me digging.

Looking forward to the next 40 or 50 clean years.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ken oath!!
Old 03-24-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Almost 5 months sober. Never been clean this long and I wouldn't swap this for anything.
I really think going sober is almost like growing up. I look at my old drinking behaviour as a rebel teenager. I did drink from my teens so for decades. It has been an interesting journey of self discovery. I was freaking out about how I would cope at certain situations without booze. Now I can see how it was my addiction talking.
I am living a normal life where there has been alcohol around. Had a friend stay Saturday night. I hadn't seen her since well before rehab and going sober. She knew of my history. She asked if she was OK to bring a bottle of wine. I said No problem at all. She couldn't believe the physical transformation in me when she saw me. We chatted for hours and she was drinking her bottle of red wine. We talked about my sobriety/recovery etc. She said how calm and relaxed I had become. My inner glow was contagious she said. I said I truly enjoyed being sober more than drinking.
I said that her drinking the wine did not bother me one bit. I said I truly saw what alcohol was and that I was happy to be sober.
To be here today and feel the way I do is priceless. I do not dwell on how I am an alcoholic and all the negativity that goes with it. I happened to become addicted to a highly addictive substance freely available. We are encouraged to drink at every occasion in life. If you become addicted to the stuff then Hey you are an alcoholic and looked down on. Go figure.
I want an AF life now. I never did in my past 2 attempts. Not whole heartedly. There is nothing that alcohol could add to my life now. On the contrary my health would go backwards I would gain weight again and become a neurotic mess. No thank you.
It really is a bliss to enjoy a sober life. Bliss.
thats an amazing thing to read. I’m on day one again today. I too have tried and failed as I truly didn’t want to stop. This time is different. I hope I can find the strength that you have
Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober is bliss for me too. Just waking up feeling good is rewarding.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whole heartedly agree with this...my personal timing is a bit further down the sober road (coming up years), and on reflection it feels like that was a lifetime ago like a younger version of me. No neurotic mess

This was spot on.....thanks for posting.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am really happy for you. It is amazing how having some sober time can help you see things so clearly.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome post. I often feel the bliss as well at almost 90 days. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to say I have 5 months sober. Congrats.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really great to read of your progress Sydneyman - 5 months is awesome man

D
Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Specially Dee 😎🙏❤️
Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done sydneyman. My drunken default self would balk at your true message of hope to us all. The sober part of me believes in it wholeheartedly. Many thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good stuff. Keep going.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post Sydneyman! Inspiring!