Notices

Does withdrawal feel like cancer or pregnancy?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does withdrawal feel like cancer or pregnancy?

Not looking for medical advice. I have a doctor's appointment on the second.

Ugh. Have been on and off the wagon, mostly on. Went on a pretty long bender last week. Nearly a fifth a day for three days with a friend. When I finally returned to 'normal', I called the doctor and got some Ativan. First day, I sort of tapered and didn't take any medicine. Second day, I quit and had a valium at noon. I'd never taken valium. I ended up throwing up all day long. Finally, I broke down and bought a fifth to nip on while getting this poison out of my life. I'd take a half of sip in the morning and a half of sip at night, and took some Ativan (I spaced the those out though).

Two days ago, I chucked the vodka (still more than half full) and threw it in the garbage. But I continued to throw up pretty regularly. Then the cycle of dehydration and vomiting started.

Yesterday, then, was officially day two. I'm taking one ativan in the am, and one in the evening. Throwing up petered off, but I still threw up a few times.

Today, all that's left is the feeling of nauseous and it's the first time I've had anything more than a banana in a week. I couldn't even keep down water during the worst of it.

I'm feeling fine now. No shakes, no headaches, no vomiting, but that feeling of being off is still there. I don't feel 100%.

I can't figure out if this is some extended withdrawal (I've never experienced withdrawal) or the bender and it's aftermath just coincided with symptoms of cancer or pregnancy. It feels a lot like pregnancy sickness. Naseous is always there, but varies from moment to moment.

I guess my only consolation is that it has been getting better by leaps and bounds each day.

Was throwing up part of your withdrawal? It has never really been a part of mine.

I don't want to go throw this again.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well...if you think it could be pregnancy, why not take a home pregnancy test?

Sounds like maybe a trip to the ER might be in order if you can't keep fluids down. Or is that better? 72 hours is the worst of acute alcohol withdrawal.

Nausea is pretty common in alcohol withdrawal. It takes a long time to feel normal again, though. Weeks or months.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a chance, but the date of conception would have been ten days ago (or a week before all this throwing up started). So unlikely it's related to that. I think switching up my drink to whiskey is partly responsible for my hard core withdrawal. It was the closest I've come to thinking I should head for the hospital.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also have a very low lack of energy. IT's crazy.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

A fifth a day for three days is a significant amount of alcohol.

You may want to get to the doctor just to make sure you didn't do any damage.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are only 2 days into physical withdrawal, it can last for several days. For many, withdrawal also increases in severity over time..so you may be experiencing that too. Mixing drugs like valium and ativan with alcohol is also a very dangerous combination - please seek medical help if things don't get better. And definitely don't drink anything else.

Regarding your whiskey comment, alcohol is alcohol in any form. Your body is most likely just getting very sick of you continually poisoning it - and the withdrawals get more severe each time.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to get migraines, and they were related to my time of the month - so it's possible you had withdrawal and a migraine...which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Migraines cause severe nausea, vomiting, inability to keep down water. . .but so does acute alcohol withdrawal. You really should see a doctor sooner rather than later.

Yeah, you're going to feel whipped for a while after withdrawal. Treat yourself like you are recovering from a serious illness, because you are. Sleep, eat when you can.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol affects every system in your body. Once you take it away all kinds of strange things can happen.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome sizzy
I vote you seek medical attention sooner than later as well, given the circumstances you posted...it wouldn't hurt just making sure everything is ok.
It'll give you peace of mind at least (as much as you can right now anyways)

stick around
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Withdrawal can cause lots of symptoms. If you think you may be pregnant please do a test then at least you won't drink anymore if it's positive.

Def agree with the others about seeing your doc regardless.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi sizzy, doesn't sound like much fun at all. Glad you are feeling fine now. Reading about your episode is a good reminder to myself.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sizzyb View Post
Not looking for medical advice. I have a doctor's appointment on the second.

Today, all that's left is the feeling of nauseous and it's the first time I've had anything more than a banana in a week. I couldn't even keep down water during the worst of it.

I'm feeling fine now. No shakes, no headaches, no vomiting, but that feeling of being off is still there. I don't feel 100%.

I can't figure out if this is some extended withdrawal (I've never experienced withdrawal) or the bender and it's aftermath just coincided with symptoms of cancer or pregnancy. It feels a lot like pregnancy sickness. Naseous is always there, but varies from moment to moment.

I guess my only consolation is that it has been getting better by leaps and bounds each day.

Was throwing up part of your withdrawal? It has never really been a part of mine.

I don't want to go throw this again.
I have had all three: pregnancy, cancer and withdrawal; but I have never been nauseated with withdrawal, but everyone is different.

I was nauseated within a week after conception of both of my children. I know it is not uncommon for nausea to set in that early, so I would suggest you get a pregnancy test soon and buy the one with the most sensitive HCG detection -- especially since your appointment is two weeks away. For instance, if you were pregnant, you would have different and increased nutritional needs for you and a possible developing fetus if you are detoxing.

Just my .02

Good luck; congrats on your decision! I am on day 2 after a week-long detox and a 6-month relapse. It is never easy
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have a drs appointment booked.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Sizzy - another vote for the Dr from me

D