SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Oner Year Ago Today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362322-oner-year-ago-today.html)

LBrain 03-17-2015 11:13 AM

Oner Year Ago Today

I joined this site.

St Pat's Day was one of the days I celebrated my OBLIGATION to drink. To all of the Irish for a day I would scoff at them. Let me show you how a real Irishman drinks. That day - a year ago - I was just trying to figure out what was going on. I had been 6 weeks out of rehab. I was searching the net for something extra, something I could relate to. I stumbled upon SR by shear coincidence. One of the threads popped up on my screen and as I read through it, I became interested in this site.

Anyway, I have "met" some pretty amazing people. I have seen how the love and caring of others can affect someone so deeply. Just some kind words of support and understanding can bring someone "back" to their senses. Do not dismiss the idea of strength in numbers. When we are all here for the same purpose it can be truly awe inspiring. Strangers helping strangers. Just being able to "say" something and get instant feedback. That is a huge advantage of being here. FEEDBACK. I had grown tired of just hearing people say their piece and then move on to the next person. I was not 'permitted' to address it because 'cross talk' was not allowed. None of that made sense to me. Here it is more of a discussion. This is a pretty amazing place and it has become my go to support system.

For all newcomers, stick around here. Some visit for a time and disappear, only to show up again months later asking themselves (and us) what went wrong. Regardless of the method you choose to help yourself achieve and maintain sobriety, it is important that you utilize it and practice it to the fullest. Do not ever let your guard down. People with a year or more sobriety "relapse" because they assumed they had it beat. Never assume you are over this.
Check in weekly or monthly if not every day. Continued success comes with continued diligence.

I want to thank all who have been here and welcome all who are new.
Pull up a keypad and make yourselves comfortable.
We are all in this together.
Happy St Paddy's Day y'all!

biminiblue 03-17-2015 11:16 AM

May the Red Road rise up to meet you, my friend.

~Native American Irishman :wink3:

ScottFromWI 03-17-2015 11:17 AM

Congratulations Lbrain, a full year sober is something to be very proud of. Thanks for all of your contributions to SR over the year as well.

Mentium 03-17-2015 11:18 AM

An inspiring post. Thank you.

Soberwolf 03-17-2015 11:19 AM

Congrats L

strategery 03-17-2015 11:24 AM

Congrats on being here a year Lbrain! You're a very special part of this community and I always enjoy your viewpoint and posts here! :hug:

Jupiters 03-17-2015 11:37 AM

congrats LBrain!!!
I also enjoy your posts and contributions to the board!
great post.

SoberLeigh 03-17-2015 11:38 AM

Thanks, LBrain, for another fantastic post. congrats on one SR year.

PurpleKnight 03-17-2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 5265258)
To all of the Irish for a day I would scoff at them. Let me show you how a real Irishman drinks.

We'll have to compete on green tea drinking or bacon eating from now on, and you sir would win hands down on that one!! :)

Fantastic stuff Brian!! :You_Rock_

chordcowboy 03-17-2015 11:52 AM

well done. Very inspirational!

FreeOwl 03-17-2015 11:53 AM

agreed... on all counts.

:)

:ring

thomas11 03-17-2015 11:56 AM

Congratulations on 1 year LBrain, your post is very inspirational. I had been lurking on this site since last spring, I could have very easily went off the deep end this winter with how slow its been. But I didn't and I credit this site.

saoutchik 03-17-2015 12:00 PM

Congratulations on I year and six weeks - awesome

I agree with you too - constructive, positive feedback and encouragement, from people who know what they are talking about is really uplifting. It always boosts my resolve

Thepatman 03-17-2015 12:08 PM

Well done my man!

The Deal is still on your know, I'll have my year as well!!

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!

Fly N Buy 03-17-2015 12:32 PM

Good stuff LB - appreciate your contributions!

What's Irish and sits on your deck?!?

Patty O'furniture ;)
St. Patrick was English, btw........

Stu Purple 03-17-2015 12:33 PM

Congratulations Brian! 1 year is an amazing achievement. :rotate:

Behan 03-17-2015 12:37 PM

Well said sir, well said.

B

Gilmer 03-17-2015 12:39 PM

What a wonderful post, LBrain! It really captures the whole rollicking, yet dead serious when it needs to be atmosphere of SR.

Congratulations on your year and 6 weeks!

And Fly, that was really bad! :headbange

least 03-17-2015 12:40 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober years! :scoregood

NikTes 03-17-2015 12:53 PM

Thanks so much for this post! You help keep me buoyed.

And congratulations!