Notices

14 Days Sober - Any Advise?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 14 Days Sober - Any Advise?

Today was my 14th day sober. I came so close to drinking today. One minute I'm thinking wow, this is day 14 and the next, that nagging waste of me was planning how I could just go over, pick up some beer, I started planning how I could excuse myself and go out to my office and drink and watch movies or whatever all the rest of the day and wouldn't that feel good...

It happened so fast, my mind just clicked, like someone flicked a switch and that old mindset started gearing up. It took me off guard and I almost, I mean I came so close to doing it, wtf?

It took real effort to force myself to remember why I quit, to remind myself that there is no holiday I can take away from being a drunk that there's no drinking away the truth. Its as if my own mind is my own worse enemy, just waiting for me to relax, to get complacent so it can pull a fast one.

My questions to anyone out there that would like to answer is this, how long does this go on? Will it ever get easier? And I suppose most importantly, do you have any advise?

I am so grateful I didn't drink today! One day at a time I suppose, one day at a time.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did the right thing.. This happens to me all the time..
Old 03-15-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

.. And 14 days is fantastic.. I think it takes a long while before the AV stops taking over your brain!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I just posed a similar question yesterday with tons of great advise here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...newcomers.html

From what I have heard it definitely gets better and easier with time and a good program.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What you are describing is a classic case of the Addictive Voice (AV) trying to get you to drink again, something that has helped me and many others is Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT), it's outlined in the book Rational Recovery, maybe you could check that out?

It takes a while for the AV to quiet down. All you have to do is recognise it for what it is, ignore it, and get on with your sober life

Well done on 14 friend!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
What you are describing is a classic case of the Addictive Voice (AV) trying to get you to drink again, something that has helped me and many others is Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT), it's outlined in the book Rational Recovery, maybe you could check that out? It takes a while for the AV to quiet down. All you have to do is recognise it for what it is, ignore it, and get on with your sober life Well done on 14 friend!
This

Learning to separate yourself from the beast and recognizing it's voice is critical. Basically any idea that is aimed at drinking comes from it. It is very cunning, patient, and primal in it's needs. Instant gratification it's only goal.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by Alcanon View Post
My questions to anyone out there that would like to answer is this, how long does this go on? Will it ever get easier? And I suppose most importantly, do you have any advise?
For me it took about 1 month for the craving to stop. But in truth it is always there to some extent. It is much better, and easier, after 2 years of sobriety but there is always those days when the voice inside my head is active. I think for me the more I dance around with the notion that I can drink the harder it is. When I accept that I cannot drink and stop obsessing about it the craving goes away.

It definitely gets easier as time goes by, and, I don't drink. Congratulations on 14 days, hold on and it will get better soon. We need you.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done for not giving in. I'm on 20 days today and haven't experienced my AV yet. I'm dreading it to be honest, and planning what I will do now.
- eat some nice food
- down a pint of juice (might work?)
- go for a bike ride (new cycle ordered yesterday)
- walk in the woods

Well done for not breaking!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It’s so beautiful. Hi and congratulations for your sober time.

How long does it last? That’s an individual thing and their thinking process. I don’t recommend positive thinking ideas regarding consuming alcohol. Try thinking REMEMBER WHEN the feelings were not very good that got you here.

I needed to remember for a few months, every day, that if I didn’t pick up the first drink I wouldn’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.

I was lucky because I got very involved in AA and got my guidance in long term recovery because stopping drinking is the start of the journey.

BE WELL
Old 03-15-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have useful advice that hasn't already been given, but wanted you to know 14 days is fantastic. Keep going.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan bud
Old 03-15-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Alcanon,

With time I'm becoming better at recognising my Addictive Voice.

It’s when I'm feeling good about things that it can really kick in. I find that if I stop for a few moments and recognise it for what it is that it helps a lot. The beast will view my life while drinking through very rose tinted glasses. The reality is that alcohol took over my life completely but since quitting things are infinitely better.

It’s completely normal to get caught off guard at times but the important thing is that you came through it and didn’t drink so a huge congrats. Each time this happens your AV takes a good kicking and loses some of its power.

14 days is no small achievement so a big congrats.

You can do this
Old 03-15-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober Plan?

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Have you got a sober plan bud
I hate to flaunt my ignorance Soberwolf but what do you mean by a sober plan? The AV, addictive voice idea was new to me too. I get it now of course though I knew what it was before I guess I just didn't have a name for it. What's that they say, naming something gives you power over it?

Anyway, what do you mean by sober plan?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months for the 'voice' to quiet down and then go away. What helped me the most was practicing gratitude every day. Pretty hard to want to drink when I'm so grateful for all that's good in my life.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

A sober plan is things you will do to remain sober whether its aa avrt sr

it could involve reading keeping a journal writing gratitude lists seeing a addiction counsellor doing group
therapy seeing your Dr regularly discussing things

it could involve a new course of education it could be finding new sober hobbies & pastimes

having an exit plan for gatherings & parties

knowing what to do in times of urge & cravings

Basically its things to help you in your sobriety
Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and great decision to quit the booze!

In my 30+ years of drinking, I've tried to quit dozens of times (futile attempts). I've also tried moderating dozens of times. Needless to say I always wound up in the same place.

What makes this time different?
1. I've accepted that I'm an alcoholic and can never moderate.
2. I'm ready to face the reasons WHY I drank.
3. I stopped looking at alcohol as my friend. That ship has sailed ages ago. It is my enemy and out to ruin me.
4. I need guidance...I can't do this alone.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh yeah...watch out for the AV. Sneaky bastard that always shows up when you least expect it.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 14 days alcanon

The important thing is you reacted properly and you made the correct decision. Thats kind of automatic response was with me a while but it got a lot better after 30 days and it got weaker and weaker every time I defeated it

you're doing ok

D
Old 03-16-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
A sober plan is things you will do to remain sober whether its aa avrt sr

it could involve reading keeping a journal writing gratitude lists seeing a addiction counsellor doing group
therapy seeing your Dr regularly discussing things

it could involve a new course of education it could be finding new sober hobbies & pastimes

having an exit plan for gatherings & parties

knowing what to do in times of urge & cravings

Basically its things to help you in your sobriety
Thanks Soberwolf.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 14 days xxxx