Notices

Going home tonight - how do I handle it?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going home tonight - how do I handle it?

My wife just texted and said there would be no kids at the house tonight so she's fine with me coming home. We will be sleeping in separate rooms. I plan on going to a meeting, hitting the gym, then going home.

I still sense a lot of anger from her, which is understandable. I'm not quite sure how to approach the evening other than to keep to myself. I have a ton of shame and guilt, but I don't know how helpful engaging her will be at this point. I almost feel like discussions of what happened and our future should take place under a counselor/moderator.

My wife also has a rocky relationship with alcohol. It has played a big part in 90% of our arguments. Right now, I'm just trying to worry about not drinking but I want to proceed with caution when it comes to trying to fix the relationship. I don't want to drink and I don't want to argue. Should I just watch TV, keep quiet and go to bed? I don't know what I should do if she wants to engage.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe it's not the time yet to go home, if you haven't had the discussions you need to have with a counselor. It would be sad for everyone if this huge upheaval ended with a return to business as usual. This is meant to be a turning point. You need to demonstrate your commitment to change. How do you envision it?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Remember that just because the offer has been made, it does not mean you have to accept it. If protecting your sobriety is your priority right now, then it might be best to avoid "fraught" situations that may threaten it for the time being?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My suggestion: be quiet, dignified, and respectful. Maybe if it feels right, ask her if she has anything she would like to discuss, then do your best to listen and not justify yourself. Apologize for the things you did wrong. Just let her get things off her chest. Build a bit of trust back.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can you stay at a friends if your not sure how the night may go ?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the night will go fine as long as I come home a little later and pretty much keep to myself. I have a lunch meeting tomorrow and I need to do some laundry, so I really need to go home anyway. If for some reason things are uncomfortable, I do have a place to go.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back, HF! Worrying does nothing for you, but having a plan is always a good idea. Another day sober! You rock!