Notices

Well that's a bummer

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well that's a bummer

Driving to my couselling session (the third, and first since I stopped drinking three days ago) my mobile goes off. I pull over and it's the counsellor saying she's feeling 'woozy' and would I mind cancelling as she needed to go home. I could hardly say I did!

Made another appointment for next week but I feel very disappointed. I'll be ok and I'm not going to let it affect my determination. Felt a bit flat and let down though.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:hug congrats on the 3 days and hang in there.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry Mentium
Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Sorry about that, Mentium.

This is only one reason why I sought out as much support as I could stand while getting sober. I could not count on 24/7 "service" from any one source of support (didn't know about SR then), and even with all the different types of support I'd accessed I was still craving alcohol for several months.

I've commented before that, in retrospect, the help and support I received was the most important aspect of my achieving sobriety.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

EndGame makes a great point I think. If you rely on too small a support base chances are that support will topple.

Sounds like your counsellor was ill - if you have other support to use, that broken appointment need not be so disappointing?

D
Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sort of like dating more than one person at a time...lol...

I agree. Build multiple streams of support so that - amongst them - you've got lots of options and avenues. That way you don't feel let down, just switch gears.

This is an important lesson in recovery, because we get attached to other folks in recovery, and sometimes they relapse in a big way and we have to take distance. It isn't the most stable group to count on!

The good thing is that we get to practice flexibility in images and expectations, which is something that I didn't develop very strongly while drinking or using. Alcoholism is more of the fixation that you need something, and only that thing will do (and you need it right now), and this isn't want its need, and did I say right now?

So, lessons inside all frustrations...spread the support to the very edges of the bread...