Notices

Antabuse?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse?

I'm not asking for medical advice here, which I know if verboten but I am thinking of asking my doctor for it for the security of longer term sobriety.

I don't know if I have a short and selective memory about the horrors I experience when in full blown drinking mode or whether the addiction tries to convince me that this time it will be different, or if it is just that cravings win out more often than not, but whatever it is after a few weeks or months I really struggle and often fail to stay sober. The last time I went pretty much eleven months and really thought I had made it and then bang.

Anyway I would be interested in people's views and experiences of using it as a means of taking drinking off the table as an option.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with it., The reason why I always direct folks to Drs is I understand it may not be suitable for everyone.

D
Old 03-17-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know any about it, Mentium. But few things are as bad for us as being drunk all the time so it might be worth talking to the doc about.

Hang in there!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

From what I've heard from a friend who is now, unfortunately, not with us (but died of old age) it was horrific when he drank with it. Good deterrent perhaps but I dunno. xx
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If your experience is that a relapse comes out of the blue and you start drinking outside of your conscious awareness, then Antabuse would be useful in preventing that.

If you subscribe to the theory that relapses start well before the drinking, then a person on Antabuse would probably stop taking it in anticipation of drinking.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very powerful drug

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post

Anyway I would be interested in people's views and experiences of using it as a means of taking drinking off the table as an option.
I have known many who have used this very powerful drug to stop them from drinking and in most cases it will scare the average one not to drink.

Then, I had a friend at work who drank one beer while taking it. I got to witness him falling straight down onto his head and being taken away by the paramedics.

Some but, (very few) I hear can still drink while taking it. This can cause quick sever liver damage.

MB
Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mentium. I take antabuse and it has deterred me from drinking on the few occasions when I thought it would be nice to have a beer.

For me, here's the sequence of events:
1) Man.. I'd love to have a beer.
2) Well... If I have a beer I'll wind up in hospital. I'll have to have something else.
3) Mmm Ginger Beer.

I have not drunk any alcohol when I've been on the medication. But as you have heard, it would be best to talk to a doctor and maybe a counselor.

Edit - No side effects for me that I have noticed.. Maybe had loose stools.. But that may be Japanese curry.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My son takes it and has suffered no side effects. If it puts a barrier between you and the liquor, it's a great thing. But it can't be the only thing... Support, therapy, whatever is helpful has to be part if recovery.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

hi Dunkin Donuts - does Antabuse have any effect on your cravings or the desire to drink?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey saoutchik

First I'll say that I've not been physically addicted to alcohol I think. But one drink by myself led to days and weeks on a bender. Then days in bed recovering.

The antabuse does help get rid of my AV I would say because it slams the door shut on any arguing with the voice. I know people have died as a result of drinking on antabuse so after the initial "I want a drink " thoughts my mind answers "do you want to be agonisingly sick or perhaps dead? " My AV hasn't come up with a way to beat that thought.

Some people will just stop taking the pills and that's the worst thing to do if you want to stay sober and have low will power. But as long as you have a moment of strength every day or two and take the pill and you don't want to die in agony then you should be fine.

Of course speak to your doctor though as my experience may not match yours.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quick edit. I don't get sick eating food with alcohol in it if it's cooked or marinated in alcohol. Some people might though. You just have to ssee for yourself I guess.

Stupid phone.

On the desire to drink... That's hard. I know what happens when I drink so I don't desire that outcome. Do i wish I was normal and could drink socially? Yes. But I have learned I can't. That's the best answer I can give you.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been using campral for the cravings, which I think has helped me considerably. I still think about alcohol, but do not physically long for it. Please give it a try.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I won't discuss the medical aspect of Antabuse because it isn't allowed here, but I will just add that I am considering it because of my astonishingly stupid ability to forget how awful active alcoholism is for me. I get to a stage after two or three months of daily drinking where I am living in pure hell. I won't even try to describe it because many others here have been there I'm sure.

I'm thinking about maybe needing some insuranc when I attempt to 'conveniently' forget how terrible an experience it is. I should not think a doctor would prescribe it until one has been sober a month or more so and it is only day four for me, so I will take my time and talk it over with my counsellor the next time I see her.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I went to treatment back in 1989 they suggested that I start taking Antabuse before my release. I was against it, thinking that after what I had been through I would not drink again. Many others were also recommended to take Antabuse and did. It seems that back then it was prescribed more often than today.

If ones health is fair it seems that if asked most doctors will let ones give it a try if desired. Doctors have seen many drunks die, anything is better than that.

MM
Old 03-18-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used it and it works great WHEN you take it. I would stop and go on a bender
Old 03-18-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Doggonecarl hit the nail on the head:
"If you subscribe to the theory that relapses start well before the drinking, then a person on Antabuse would probably stop taking it in anticipation of drinking."

That was my experience. Antabuse worked great as long as I wanted it to work. I lied to myself, as well as others, as to the reasons I quit taking it (or I didn't mention it to anyone at all). I took it for about 3 months on 2 separate quits. Both times, I stopped taking it for reasons other than "planning" a relapse, but that's exactly what happened. I was even trying to fool myself!