Notices

Another emergency where I'm so glad I was sober.....

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another emergency where I'm so glad I was sober.....

it's March break so my kids were still up while I was sleeping because I get up at 3am for work. So my 10 year old was making himself some Mr. Noodles and he spillt boiling water on his inner thigh. Woken up out of a dead sleep to screams of pain.... a midnight rush to the emergency. He has second degree burns and is on morphine. Thank Christ I hadn't been drinking so I could deal with the emergency! It was so scary.... he burned the skin right off his leg. We are all shaken up.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi zen big hug for you
Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Healing thoughts for your boy. I'm so glad you were sober.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your little boy - I hope he makes a seedy recovery. I'm so glad you were 'there' to help, Zen

D
Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Poor little fella, hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is SUCH a PERFECT example of why it is important to get, be, and stay sober with children. Anything can happen at any time. I am so glad you were able to seek help. Sending hopes for a quick recovery!!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your son's accident, I hope he heals quickly! This was the driving force for me getting sober. I thought so many times, 'what would you do if xyz happened?' More often than not at night, I couldn't drive cuz I'd been drinking. I was very lucky something like that didn't happen to me. Now my boys are teens and I'm picking them up and dropping them off at places at all times. It's so nice to be able to say YES every time they need a ride. It makes things so much easier and it feels good to be there for them at all times. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you zen I hope your son is feeling ok and heals fast. I'm so thankful to be sober for emergencies now.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ohhhh poor boy, I hope he heals quickly.
and yes, ONE more good thing about being sober. Good stuff zen.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hope the little guy is doing alright Zen.

one of the benefits of being sober is to be able to be there for those you love. Glad you were able to handle the situation soberly.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh God, what a night. He's finally asleep. I was out driving to the 24hr pharmacy to get his morphine script and the stuff I'll need to bandage his wound and tears were just streaming down my face. He hurt himself so bad! The burn is just huge and he's in so much pain and he's so little. He was carrying the Mr Noodles to the table and when he sat down he dropped the bowl and the boiled water landed in his lap all over the sensitive part of his inner thigh. His skin melted!!

Imagine if I'd been drinking?! Not able to think and react quickly. Showed up at emergency with my burned child stinking of a brewery. I would of never been able to forgive myself. And it could of turned into a Children's Aid investigation and that would of been the right thing!! There have been too many nights when an emergency could have happened and I would of been drunk.

My poor boy. And his March just started and now it will be ruined for him. We had a bunch of things planned and now instead my baby is going to be laid up and hurting. It's so hard to see him like this when there is so little I can do except try to make him comfortable and even that is a huge challenge. There is no pain reliever that totally mask burn pain.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Zen, that sounds horrible! Poor little dude...

Glad you were able to take care of him.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your little guy, Zen. The pain must be awful. Maybe you can get some new books to read during the March break or some movies to watch.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hugs to you and your precious son, zen.
I'm so glad you were sober...you would have never forgiven yourself if you weren't.
Praying for a full recovery for your boy.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, your poor child! I spilled coffee on about 60% of my body (huge thermos) when I was 8: those second degree burns don't leave scars, but they are so painful.

What a blessing that you were able to be there for him. That is so fantastic.

Sending your son healing thoughts.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh that's such a relief to hear that he may not be scarred. It's big around 8x6 inches and his thigh is so little. I just had the hugest cry... I haven't cried like that in a long time. Everyone here is still asleep so I had the privacy. I have to keep myself level for my boy.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Zen, sorry to hear about your little one, but very happy to hear you were sober. Years ago when I was drinking daily and taking a prescription sleep med, my wife finally told me that if something ever happened I would be worthless. Like if the house burned down or she had a medical emergency. It took me another year but I kicked the sleep meds and stopped drinking Sunday thru Thursday. I still have my issues on the weekend but believe it or not, before I go to sleep, I do a thorough check of the house to make sure everything is in order to minimize the possibility of anything bad happening. Close garage doors, lock doors, nothing on the stove or in the oven etc...
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Matilda that must have been unreal for burns to cover that much of your body. Even in his morphine sleep he's twitching out from the pain.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Good job, z.

I'm sure your son is happy that you could comfort him in a sober state of mind.

The confidence to take on life's emergencies and other challenges is a wonderful gift of sobriety.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing your boy well soon