Notices

Another emergency where I'm so glad I was sober.....

Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your son's accident. I am so glad you were sober and able to deal with this emergency. I have thought many times, what if I had not been sober? Kids are resilient, more so than we are when they are hurt or sick. Wishing him a speedy recovery and a big :hug to you.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Good job, z.

I'm sure your son is happy that you could comfort him in a sober state of mind.

The confidence to take on life's emergencies and other challenges is a wonderful gift of sobriety.
It was terribly painful. I was "lucky," I suppose, in that there was a flu epidemic and I ended up in the burn unit of a hospital where they knew how to treat it and keep me comfortable.

It was a crazy accident: I basically pulled a thermos on my lap while reaching for crayons (my father worked out in the field, and always made one of those stanley thermoses of coffee). I was wearing a nylon nightgown, which didn't help. Had one inch blisters on my fingers--literally.

I had one third degree burn on my stomach and had to have a skin graft for that. The scar is very tiny and looks like a birth mark. Just be sure that your son does any of the therapy they ask him to do.Don't know if they do it still, but I had to sit in a tub of this liquid and scrub some of the wounds. It hurt, but I think it is part of the reason I don't have scars.

Give your son a squeeze for me. And again, I'm so, so glad that you were able to be there for him. What a reminder of how important our sobriety is, not just to us, but to those we love.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Matilda that must have been unreal for burns to cover that much of your body. Even in his morphine sleep he's twitching out from the pain.
Whoops! Meant my post as a response to this quote. Think it is time to get off the computer and have coffee.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah we see a plastic surgeon on Friday so not sure what kind of treatment will be suggested but we will absolutely be doing all of it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How you're boy has a quick recovery. It's great when you realize the freedom and abilities sobriety brings. I'm happy you were able to help your son!