Notices

Seriously pissed but not drinking

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seriously pissed but not drinking

I swear sometimes I feel as if I'm being tested. I have 3 weeks currently sober. Not sure by who but just in general. For some background...Been with the wife for 8 years. Have been married for 5. She has a child from her previous so met him around when he was just about to turn 4. So 2 tasks that hes responsible for are throwing out the trash and making sure he gets up in the morning for school. He can't do either. So today he's asking his mom for money to but some game app on his phone. Mom says not today...I say how about you can start doing what you said you would like throw out the trash and make sure your alarm is set. He starts crying (which I didnt know at the time). So we go to the store everything is going good and she drops on me the " you need to be nicer to him...the way you talk is either your on his case or you're ignoring him. WTH is my response.

Gets deeper...but I'll just leave it at that. I'm so enraged right now because one I kid you not...it's either I'm not doing something or I'm not doing enough of it. He's the most sensitive kid I've ever met. I mean literally you can say hey did you do your homework yet and he could be on the verge of tears. I'm the complete opposite. I asked her...why is it your'e getting on my case about not having a balance with him, but at the same time you can't see what he himself isn't doing. Two very simple things....I don't reward disobedience or me having to repeat myself 10 times to get things done.

One week I'm doing great she sees me trying than now I have no balance when dealing with the kid. I honestly hate dealing with kids in general and dealing with a stepchild is even worse. I'm going for a bike ride to blow off some very hot steam instead of tossing back a few.

Talk to you guys later!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you stop steaming, maybe this is a good opportunity to sit down calmly with your wife and talk about the difference in your parenting styles and expectations?

Communication helps most things I find?

D
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When you stop steaming, maybe this is a good opportunity to sit down calmly with your wife and talk about the difference in your parenting styles and expectations?

Communication helps most things I find?

D
Yea your right. I just always feel it's me that is in the wrong no matter what it is. I know parenting styles is a huge part of marriage. Some times I fly off the handle and especially since being sober I find myself very easily agitated. I'm working on it with my therapist but its a tough mountain to climb when your trying to change all of yourself at the same time. I'm taking it one thing and day at a time but overall it sucks!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in your other thread I found myself a lot more peaceful after some sober time...

the things that mattered, and the things that would irritate me no end, kinda changed, y'know?

D
Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find myself very easily agitated
Part of that is likely that you're still early in recovery, when emotions can be all over the map. I'm glad you have a counselor to talk to and get feedback from. Anger can be a scary emotion. I had an ex who would throw things and yell. Then he started throwing me and yelling. Anger scares me.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi getright, so glad you're riding instead of drinking, well done.

Your own teen children are hard enough, much less someone else's. This is the only childhood he'll ever have, and if he's tearing up so readily it sounds like he's having a hard time (not saying it's your fault) and may be depressed.

Why not try doing some enjoyable guy stuff with him alone, like a ride every Sunday or paintball etc. just to get to know him in a non-pressure (and non-competitive) situation. You're a guy, you know you don't have to talk a lot to communicate, so doing something where you're both occupied is good. Just you two though, without Mum.

As a family you might also benefit from some family therapy. Lots of step-families do it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Part of that is likely that you're still early in recovery, when emotions can be all over the map. I'm glad you have a counselor to talk to and get feedback from. Anger can be a scary emotion. I had an ex who would throw things and yell. Then he started throwing me and yelling. Anger scares me.
I hate it myself. Takes so much energy being angry and upset. Went for a very long bike ride instead of fueling the fire with booze which was on my mind. I came back home after riding and have been talking to you guys since I got back home.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi getright, so glad you're riding instead of drinking, well done.

Your own teen children are hard enough, much less someone else's. This is the only childhood he'll ever have, and if he's tearing up so readily it sounds like he's having a hard time (not saying it's your fault) and may be depressed.

Why not try doing some enjoyable guy stuff with him alone, like a ride every Sunday or paintball etc. just to get to know him in a non-pressure (and non-competitive) situation. You're a guy, you know you don't have to talk a lot to communicate, so doing something where you're both occupied is good. Just you two though, without Mum.

As a family you might also benefit from some family therapy. Lots of step-families do it.
Been thinking about that. I owe him a movie or 2. I'll invite him on a ride with me.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
Been thinking about that. I owe him a movie or 2. I'll invite him on a ride with me.
Great idea, but make allowances for him maybe not being as fit as you. If he's sensitive, he may feel you're putting pressure on him. Let him set the pace.

I had a BF who took my son for a ride and my son came back looking like a limp rag. Luckily he's not all that sensitive.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

ask him what he wants to do with you, make sure you talk with him and not to him. we're all humans learning about each other