Notices

Not sure what to think about this comment

Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post
I have always had her back when she was sick. I guess I feel like she was trying to have me second guess my decision to quit alcohol. It resonated with me a little.
It sounds like she also misses her drinking buddy. This might have been her way of telling you that without having to be the one to admit to feeling this way. Did you tell your friend that you felt this way or that it came off as if she didn't support your decision?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

IMO, or from what I'm learning from similar situations, is that people don't realize how serious a problem it is to be an addict. I've faced similar issues with friends and I can just see in their eyes they have no idea how destructive booze is to me, because it isn't to them. They remember me being "happy" at bars but never saw the destruction at home. For this reason people on the outside often assume we're taking ourselves too seriously by committing to sober life for good. Most people, when I say "I'm sober" will ask me "cool, how long are you doing this for?".

Perhaps she's a stirrer and Chris is mad he lost a drinking buddy, but it's probsbly true that both of them are ignorant to how much better off you are this way. ATM, I don't have many friends that are worth convincing: I decided if my bar friends don't care to be friends sober they're not worth my anxiety. But if I did have friends I valued who held this kind of opinion, I'd ask to go for lunch or coffee and explain to them all the things that "normal" people don't know about addiction. I know there's a lot of stuff I still don't know, I'm amazed at how much there is to learn...it's difficult for people to see addiction as a problem if they don't face it themselves.

I understand your ambivalence in this situation, and I hope you can find some rational resolution that doesn't involve temptation. You are strong and you should be proud of yourself for coming this far - and you deserve to have friends who support you in your HUGE life changes!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

People like that, in my experience, have such low esteem themselves, they want to drag everyone down else with them. xxx
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jdvivre View Post
IMO, or from what I'm learning from similar situations, is that people don't realize how serious a problem it is to be an addict. I've faced similar issues with friends and I can just see in their eyes they have no idea how destructive booze is to me, because it isn't to them. They remember me being "happy" at bars but never saw the destruction at home. For this reason people on the outside often assume we're taking ourselves too seriously by committing to sober life for good. Most people, when I say "I'm sober" will ask me "cool, how long are you doing this for?".

Perhaps she's a stirrer and Chris is mad he lost a drinking buddy, but it's probsbly true that both of them are ignorant to how much better off you are this way. ATM, I don't have many friends that are worth convincing: I decided if my bar friends don't care to be friends sober they're not worth my anxiety. But if I did have friends I valued who held this kind of opinion, I'd ask to go for lunch or coffee and explain to them all the things that "normal" people don't know about addiction. I know there's a lot of stuff I still don't know, I'm amazed at how much there is to learn...it's difficult for people to see addiction as a problem if they don't face it themselves.

I understand your ambivalence in this situation, and I hope you can find some rational resolution that doesn't involve temptation. You are strong and you should be proud of yourself for coming this far - and you deserve to have friends who support you in your HUGE life changes!
Excellent. Some times we forget that others may not be fully aware of the true extent of our circumstances. Many times we criticize others for their behavior toward us when they may actually 'have no clue' what this really means to us.
On the other hand, if they do realize the full extent of what it means to be an "addict" and still attempt to lure us back, then it's time to say goodbye to them.