Notices

I have some questions about alcoholism -

Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have some questions about alcoholism -

Hi,

I am probably an alcoholic. My father and grandfather were both alcoholics.

I've read that alcoholics have to hit "rock bottom" in order to quit. I've already lost the things I gave my life to, my marriage, my friends, most family members and my business. I've come close to being homeless. I keep right on drinking.

I drink around two bottles of wine a day, usually with a couple shots of vodka thrown in. I have been getting drunk every night since I was 17, so nearly thirty years of my life. On weekends, all bets are off. Three bottles of wine and a pint of vodka pretty routine. And sometimes I throw in a few Vicodin for good measure. Just a f***ing mess.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling...

Last week I quit drinking for four days. I decided not to drink Monday-Thursday, and I did it. And really, it wasn't that hard. I was very concerned that I would get sick. or the DTs or something, and nothing happened.

I didn't feel any better or any worse or any different.

So I guess I have a question...I am doing the four days off again this week...at what point will I feel any different? Or feel anything at all?

Any insight appreciated.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

So do you want to quit or do you just want to binge on the weekends?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT0626 View Post
So do you want to quit or do you just want to binge on the weekends?
To be honest, I would like to be able to have a few drinks on the weekends and not drink during the week.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Dogtown! Even just reviewing your outlook on alcohol is a good thing in my opinion.

Regarding the "rock bottom" thing, it's false that you have to hit it to quit. You get to decide if you think your drinking is a problem, and you also get to choose to be sober if you do feel it is warranted.

Regarding your second question, it takes quite a bit of time for your body to adjust. At 4 days, you are still probably just finishing up with the "Acute" withdrawal phase where your body is simply ridding itself of the alcohol. For most, the first couple weeks are pretty up and down.

The other part of the equation is that just "not drinking" isn't really the whole picture. Most of us have underlying issues that we must deal with once we stop drinking. We avoided the issues by getting drunk, but they don't go away when the bottle is gone. This is where "recovery" starts to happen - you need to face those issues and find healthy ways to cope with life sans drinking. There are a whole host of ways to do it, and you can read about a lot of them here.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by DogtownBlues View Post
To be honest, I would like to be able to have a few drinks on the weekends and not drink during the week.
Please read around the site. It should prove educational to you. One of the things you will learn is that drinking normally is the pipe dream of every alcoholic, and impossible to attain.

Hope you give serious thought to sobriety.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

We'd all like to be able to do that but most of us have found its a futile endeavor. If we could moderate, we wouldn't be here. But most of us have tried!

Stick around, do some reading, keep posting.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried the weekends only drinking and failed miserably. I just can't drink period.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
Sober to many here is being alcohol free one day at a time in a row.
Moderation in our drinking if we are alcoholics is a waste of time and a dream that does not work.
Read posts here, attend AA meetings and whatever it takes to not drink.
As stated stopping is not the end all as we need to change the person we brought here that’s addicted to alcohol.

BE WELL
Old 03-16-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did you experience any withdrawal last week? Were you able to sleep well etc...? Sounds like you've already sacrificed quite a bit with alcohol, so backing off or quitting is probably a good idea.
I quit during the week a few years ago, best decision I've made so far. now I'm trying to kick the weekend thing. I don't drink at all Sunday thru Thursday.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there

i just wanted to wish you well. For what it's worth, I drank pretty much every night for many years - about 7-10 pints of beer or a bottle of wine or so. much more at weekends. I stopped that a few years ago now - maybe 5 years ago. Went to just drinking at weekends, then just to Saturdays, then maybe every other Saturday. For me though, the key is that I could rarely show constraint on those sessions. I can still put it away but I get more drunk than I did as a 25 year old and it hurts a lot more in the morning - mentally as much as anything.

I love the feeling I get after about 3 weeks sober but then I tend to 'reward' my achievements by getting hammered. It destroys my mood and my optimism and I feel like I am back at square one. That is what I am here to change.

Personally, the hardest time for me was when I was drinking about half the week. Never long enough sober to feel good and took a lot of energy...but at least it was a step on the way so I ain't gonna knock it! Glad you are thinking about it and wishing you well

Chordcowboy
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Did you experience any withdrawal last week? Were you able to sleep well etc...? Sounds like you've already sacrificed quite a bit with alcohol, so backing off or quitting is probably a good idea.
I quit during the week a few years ago, best decision I've made so far. now I'm trying to kick the weekend thing. I don't drink at all Sunday thru Thursday.
It was so strange. I had no symptoms of anything. I slept fine. I felt, really, no different.

I was 1/2 scared of getting the DTs and 1/2 hoping I would feel really good, physically.

Instead - nothing. Zip!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! If you read our threads and posts you'll find that most of us tried to drink "normally" and failed miserably. I tried to moderate my drinking but it was a dismal failure. It's easier for me to quit completely and I must say my life is so much better for it.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome DTB this is exellent site for recovery support & advice

Nice to meet you
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hitting bottom

I've read that alcoholics have to hit "rock bottom" in order to quit. I've already lost the things I gave my life to, my marriage, my friends, most family members and my business. I've come close to being homeless. I keep right on drinking.
Hey, glad you are here getting knowledge about alcoholism. Based on what you've said, it looks to me like you have hit "a bottom" (losing marriage, etc.). If you keep drinking you may hit a lower bottom, the worst bottoms being jails, institutions, or death. It is up to you how low you go. It is like you are on an elevator going down while you drink. You can quit drinking and get off the elevator. Or you can continue to drink and go lower. Your nevers will start to happen - never been arrested, never drove while drunk, never did something horrible in a blackout, etc. it is good that you are trying to quit drinking during the week. But in my experience, all attempts at controlled drinking inevitably failed. We are alcoholic when we know that we can't control what will happen after one drink. We may be fine and not drink any more. Or we may drink ourselves into oblivion, despit our good intention to have just one drink. If you quit drinking altogether you will eventually feel better. There is a saying like "My worst day sober was better than my best day drunk". Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!!

I have no idea how you will feel at any given point - we are all different. For me the alcohol caused a bankruptcy of sorts with body, mind and spirit. As I gain sober time all three seem to get better. The mind is the last for me......it took 6 months before the "fog" that I did not even realize was there, to dissipate.

Our "bottom" is really when we decide to quit drinking - it's the stage we are at when that occurs. It does not have to be homeless living under a bridge. But, for some - that is exactly what it is. Just depends.

Keep coming back
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a great thread, easy to see myself in so many posts.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovered

We will be here. Good luck!

We are not done until we are done. My "only drink Thursday-Sunday" rule worked/lasted for YEARS.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DogtownBlues!!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tried to be a periodical drinker for the past 10 or 11 years and ALWAYS failed.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It was so strange. I had no symptoms of anything. I slept fine. I felt, really, no different.

I was 1/2 scared of getting the DTs and 1/2 hoping I would feel really good, physically.

Instead - nothing. Zip!
Interesting. I guess you're one of the lucky ones. I'm curious to see how it goes this week.