Notices

I am an alcoholic.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic.

I joined over a month ago but have only had a handful of sober nights under my belt. I was able to curb some of my drinking at times, but that's not enough.

I can make it through one day, but come day 2, that voice in my head wins. Not this time. I'm so sick of doing this to myself.

There is no more alcohol in the house and I know it's time. There is plenty of cleaning to keep me busy.

How can it be so difficult to stop something that is clearly so destructive?

I know this is helter skelter, but thoughts/prayers/support would really be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lots of support here and good decision xxx
Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sobercousin View Post
How can it be so difficult to stop something that is clearly so destructive?
It's an addiction. Treat it accordingly.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

We understand what you're going through and we're right behind you.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just getting started myself sobercousin. Had a lot of sober time between drinks this year so I am well acquainted with those early days. Just got to get through them in your own way.
You say you know it is time - good to hear. Go for it!
best wishes
chordcowboy
Old 03-16-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't let yourself get hungry...that was always my downfall.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercousin View Post

clearly so destructive
If we remember that minute to minute we will not drink.

Our problem is that we want to forget how bad it really is and thus we deceive ourselves.

MM
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this sobercousin! Prayers for you! It took me a couple of false starts. I had to add a couple of tools to my toolbelt. Check in everyday with us on the 24 hour daily thread
Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the best sobercousin. If you feel like drinking then post here first. People are here 24/7.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all very, very much. This is extremely moving and inspirational. A route of support and communication will help greatly in my journey.

I'm not one to ask for help or seek attention so just starting this thread is uncharacteristic of me. I really underestimated how strong of a hold this addiction had/has on me.

Thank you all.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

keep at it will get better love and prayers ardy
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you sobercouin for me its acceptance & having a sober plan to help me stay sober

it really helps
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Second to what the other poster said, don't let yourself get hungry. You will need lots of caloric replacements in the early days. Although not a long term solution, while you work on your sober legs, when your AV gets loud, always eat a snack. Sometimes that simple act alone will quiet her down.

You are about to [re]learn a lot about yourself. You got this. Peace.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Echoing what's the others have said but when you feel the urge post here. There's always someone here who will help you. You can do this, stay strong!!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, sobercousin, to SR.

We are here for you 24/7/365; stay close; read and post often.

You can do this.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I didn't like asking for help but in this battle it's necessary. At least for me. I couldn't do it alone. Post here as often as you need even if its in support of someone else.

Remember the acronym HALT. Don't let yourself get too Hungry Angry Lonely Tired.

Ask questions. Lots of them if you need to. Maybe join the March class on this forum for daily check ins and solidarity.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

When I was able to stop drinking the simple things that made sense to me helped.
At that time there was no internet and the only show in town was the very successful AA Progeam which has helped millions.
It’s based on self honesty about our drinking and accepting the fact I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row. Remember When is important as many forget the pains we went through to get here. Keep Coming is a needed reminder so we don’t forget that alcohol is powerful, cunning, baffling and very insidious.
Alcoholism never has had a cure and if we continue to drink it only gets worse with outcomes of being incarcerated, Institutionalized, dead or continuing a more miserable life with all the losses alcoholics incur.
Behind all the gloom and doom if we stop drinking life does get much better depending how much effort we put into it. Ask or read around.

BE WELL
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Sobercousin, thinking of you and wishing you the best. There are some very wise people that can help you here.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The horrible headache has gone from my hangover today and I can finally string together complete thoughts! God willing, that will be my last hangover.

Again, thank you all for the support - I'm sure I will be posting with my progress and issues. I got a little choked up here at my desk at work, which is a first for me.

I know that my drinking has no benefit, I don't want to continue, and I can not control my drinking in moderation. It has only negatively impacted my life. I would be a better person had I never drank, but since I can't change that, I will be a better person by no longer drinking. If only my AV could be rational and understand all of that

Tonight shouldn't be an issue. I have chamomile tea and coconut water. I've gotten a handful of sober nights under my belt over the past 30 days. I feel on top of the world the morning after. Day 2 is where I give in.

Tomorrow evening I have a gardening meeting, so I'll be out of the house and distracted for some of the night. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know when I was sober for 2 nights in a row was. I'd venture to say it has been 3+ years.