Notices

well, I reckon it's time. Hello everyone

Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well, I reckon it's time. Hello everyone

Hello to you all

Just discovered this rather excellent site and just discovered that I rather would like to be a sober man.

My relationship with alcohol started in my mid teens and has been, at varying times, exciting, enjoyable, problematic, utterly cataclysmic, mystifying, demoralising and destructive - sometimes all in the same weekend!!!

For the last couple of years I have gone weeks between drinks, occasionally months. But every session leaves me feeling lousy in every conceivable way - even though I have drunk a lot less than I used to in my 'hay day'.

Recently, it has not just been the morning after that has been grim but from the first moment of the alcohol hitting me I have regretted starting...but still carried on. Old habits and all that.....

Well, time for a change. This is only day 2 sober but I have only drunk twice in the last 4 weeks - once like a normal person would (1 beer) and once like I do (by the gallon).

For the first time I can recall, I rather suddenly feel a genuine desire to live sober. So here goes. Might need a bit of help I reckon (to say the least) so going to try and come here at least every couple of days. I am a person who screws stuff up pretty easily so it would be quite a turn up for me to get this right first time but you never know! I certainly feel up for it as a I type.

So, thanks for posting all the inspirational stuff that I have read in the last 24 hours or so. It has been a great help already and has fuelled my excitement about what kind of life might lie ahead.

Best wishes

Chordcowboy
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 days sober and the desire to get sober for good.

I wish you good luck, moderation doesn't work for us as you realized with feeling regret for starting again.

hang in here, tons of support. I'm relatively new here so sorry if I couldn't be more supportive.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard chord cowboy

Come here as often as you need to - even multiple times a day.

This is a great community - glad you found us

D
Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok, Cowboy. Here we are -- for you. So now you say you will be checking in with us so we can keep an eye on you.

Y'all do that now, y' hear?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome friend
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome.

best decision you'll ever make.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.

In case you were wondering how to STAY sober it’s accomplished by not picking up the first drink one day at a time in a row.
It’s that simple but not always easy as a lot of things are involved.

BE WELL
Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, thanks for the kind welcomes everyone. Already feels good to make contact and I am getting a very friendly feeling.

'best decision you'll ever make' hey Freeowl? Well, I have made plenty of real stinkers over the years so about time I made a good'un! hehe

I confess that I don't have much of a plan right now though and I know that the danger point will be in about 10 days time when I am feeling a bit healthier and a bit more virtuous and ready to join the ranks of the social drinkers. But, I have failed to gain genuine 'social drinker' status after about 20 years of trying. I have managed it in patches but it takes a lot of energy!!! Ready to put that energy into something more constructive now. Besides, it always goes wrong in the end anyway. Need to work on that plan pretty sharpish, I reckon.

So thanks again all. Massively appreciate the encouragement!

Chordcowboy
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks IOAA2

simple yet profound advice.Hope I can take it!

Much appreciated
Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ChordCowboy. Glad you're here, and congratulations on 2 days. Keep stringing them together.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cowboy,

I was just thinking about the social drinking and moderation and all.

In the midst of Eisenhower running Operation Overlord -- D Day et al, his doctor told him he would have to limit himself to only so many cigarettes a day. He tried that and found it too hard to do, so in the midst of everything else that was going on, he decided to just quit, and, as the story goes, that's just what he did.

AG
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AddictGuy View Post
Cowboy,

I was just thinking about the social drinking and moderation and all.

In the midst of Eisenhower running Operation Overlord -- D Day et al, his doctor told him he would have to limit himself to only so many cigarettes a day. He tried that and found it too hard to do, so in the midst of everything else that was going on, he decided to just quit, and, as the story goes, that's just what he did.

AG
thanks for that, very interesting
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chordcowboy!!