Notices

Let my guard down :-(

Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let my guard down :-(

Kicking myself but not too much.

A friend popped round last night with a bottle of wine. We were so engrossed in the conversation I had the bottle opened, a glass poured each and drunk before the penny dropped.

The reason I'm not kicking myself too much is because it wasn't premeditated and was just thoughtlessness. I didn't enjoy the taste like I have before and it hasn't awoken any desire to have more. If anything it has made me realise I don't particularly like it and didn't get any sort of buzz.

I'm not happy with myself for returning back to day 1 but hold my hands up as guilty.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a blip. You're back! You've learned much from it. You'll definitely be more watchful next time! Just keep moving forward!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stuff happens. At least you didn't head out and get another bottle. And bonus - you can join the march group!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good thing about letting your guard down is the next time it happens you should have this memory to stop you in your tracks - and put on a nice pot of tea for yourself, or something....

Maybe it's worth broaching the subject of you not drinking to your friend too? Especially if you don;t think you could sit there and watch someone else drink. I doubt I could have in the early days

This thing is insidious - you really need to be vigilant for a while and be open to the idea of lifestyle changes......but it's worth it
Old 03-16-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Esspee,

Situations like that were helped greatly by letting others know I wasn't drinking.

I used to be terrified of telling others because that meant that I couldn't casually go back to drinking with them. Last June something in me told me this was for real so I told them but I haven't gone back.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Esspee-

Have you thought about what you're going to do differently next time so this doesn't happen again? I am glad you're not beating yourself up and that you're back.
I am just concerned for you since it didn't even register with you when it was happening.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no use beating yourself up to be sure...

but planned or not, you drank when you'd rather be sober.

or.... are you not really to the "rather be sober" place just yet?

Bottom line is this; if we wish to embrace sobriety and live a full and joyous life unencumbered by the downward progression of addiction - we need to support our decision throughout our lives and in all the ways necessary so that when a friend pops round, or a celebration breaks out, or we're invited to do shots with a stranger unexpectedly or WHATEVER happens - we can readily say "No thanks, I don't drink" with a smile.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm definitely in for sobriety.

I accept the point that it's worrying I didn't 'notice'. I guess the reason is alcohol (either drinking or struggling to abstain) is not at the forefront of my mind. I'm not missing drinking, I hardly ever have cravings and if I have they've been easily trampled down, in fact it has no control over me.

I genuinely feel my actions last night were no different to those of a 'normal' person. It doesn't mean I'm going back to drinking - didn't enjoy the test, why waste the money .

Having said that, I am taking on board all that's been said.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I genuinely feel my actions last night were no different to those of a 'normal' person.
The nights when nothing bad happened were actually the worst for me esspee.

I'd keep the memory in my head of 'the night I drank like a normal person', cos thats really, deep down what I wanted to be....and it would poke its head out sometime later, usually when I was in a drink or not situation....'my friend needs comfort...it's not about me'...

'it would be too much trouble to explain and turn down that glass of red the neighbour/workmate is offering'....

'it's been a bad week...just one or two can't hurt....after all I did last time...'

Noone's trying to beat you up, and I definitely don't harp or nag you...but I think you'd be best to give this whole evening a little more thought?

D
Old 03-16-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry Esspee.. I've been there. The first slip wasn't awful but it got pretty bad after that. Dust off and re committ. Keep your gaurd up against AV. You can do it
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to disappoint I haven't become some shaking wreck full of guilt and fighting cravings. I didn't enjoy my one glass, have been to the supermarket since with no cravings, desires etc.

I genuinely thought this was a supportive place where people could come and talk things out, didn't realise we were expected to be angst ridden. That it is seen as a 'crime' to be coping just fine.

Good luck everyone but I suppose I had better look somewhere else!!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The nights when nothing bad happened were actually the worst for me esspee.

I'd keep the memory in my head of 'the night I drank like a normal person', cos thats really, deep down what I wanted to be....and it would poke its head out sometime later, usually when I was in a drink or not situation....'my friend needs comfort...it's not about me'...

'it would be too much trouble to explain and turn down that glass of red the neighbour/workmate is offering'....

'it's been a bad week...just one or two can't hurt....after all I did last time...'

Noone's trying to beat you up, and I definitely don't harp or nag you...but I think you'd be best to give this whole evening a little more thought?

D
No thank you. If I think about the alcohol it's won. It was one glass, never repeated and no cravings.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
Sorry Esspee.. I've been there. The first slip wasn't awful but it got pretty bad after that. Dust off and re committ. Keep your gaurd up against AV. You can do it
We are not all the same. It was not an AV, it was a distraught friend.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

All I see here is people trying to help you avoid some common traps Esspee.
but hey - message received loud and clear

D
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Esspee

I do agree that it was a slip and that you should let it go though with a lesson to be vigilant against going into autopilot. That happened to me a lot when I was struggling to gain sobriety. It is so easy to not think and just go through the motions. In my early months, I had to put abstinence front and centre, be very vigilant and acutely aware of any potential slip. It involves a lot of forward planning, practicing mindfulness and was quite mind consuming ! However, as the months passed, it does get easier. Hopefully it is becoming second nature for me to simply ignore alcohol. So, Esspee, I would remember the slip for what it is and nothing more. Learn from it and move on !
Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeap Esspee we all just want to help, great job on posting, go at things again!!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Esspee View Post
Sorry to disappoint I haven't become some shaking wreck full of guilt and fighting cravings. I didn't enjoy my one glass, have been to the supermarket since with no cravings, desires etc.

I genuinely thought this was a supportive place where people could come and talk things out, didn't realise we were expected to be angst ridden. That it is seen as a 'crime' to be coping just fine.

Good luck everyone but I suppose I had better look somewhere else!!
Hi Esspee.

You're disappointed. Why wouldn't you be?

I just finished reading your thread, and all I've seen is people supporting you, telling you about their own experiences, and attempting to help you move forward. It would be a shame to walk away from that.