Notices

What made me decide I needed a change...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What made me decide I needed a change...

So I have about 3 weeks under my belt now being sober. I've just been doing some reflecting lately about why I made the choice to better my life as well as my families. My last bender started over an argument. It was going on 3 days of drinking in a row. Wife checked into a hotel with the kids during because I just become a different person. Some things I don't even remember what I did some of it is also very hazy like it was a dream, but can't clearly remember if it was reality or not. I've gotten over a lot of the guilt and the beating myself phase of things.

Now to the good part (not really), but I got a DUI last July when I could've just been home just as easy. A lot of nonsense with the whole story meaning stuff with the legal system, blood being drawn no warrant. I wasn't pulled over. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and I tapped the guy in front of me. No damage no nothing just a less than 10mph accident. We exchange insurance and numbers etc. You'd think I can just go on my merry way which is what I should have done. This young kid proceeds to claim injuries...his hand his neck his back. I'm like whoa whoa....no damage...I'm going 10mph but now you have all these injuries. I know MONEY MONEY is the name of the game. Regardless I shouldnt have been driving and I was. I shouldve left and not wait around for the police since I did my part already. Of course when you try to do the right thing it comes back and bites you in the ass. So I finally go to court on the 30th of March with my lawyer. Hope it goes well, but I usually don't have the best of luck when it comes to things. 2015 was supposed to be a good start but its been anything but. My anxiety is through the freaking roof. I have my therapist tomorrow and he's gonna write a letter for me for court as I'm seeking help for my problem.

I decided 3 weeks ago no more. I can't put my family through anymore crap. Myself included. I need and want to be a better father and husband. I regret so much putting my family through the gut wrenching benders. I feel sad sometimes when my 5 yr old ask my wife..."hey mom when are we going to the hotel again"? I think to myself damn that really sucks. Our 11 year old says "Oh you were going crazy again" that is his reason why they go. Really sh***y to hear, but it was my doing right!

Enough of the ranting. Just been thinking a lot giving I've been drinkless for 3 weeks now. There is more, but I think what I've written so far is enough for now. Trying to fight this battle.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getright15, congratulations on 3 weeks! Quitting was the right thing to do for yourself and your family.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The longer we carry on the worse and more costly these little incidents get. The wife could take off with the kids and not come back. Or worse, have you thrown out. Trust me it doesn't usually get any better when you continue to drink.

Good job at three weeks. It'll get easier as you go on.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's good you've stopped now, while you can, and haven't destroyed your life yet. Have you found any support like AA, or a counsellor? I ask because we often start with great sincere intentions, but support kicks in when the motivation fades.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
It's good you've stopped now, while you can, and haven't destroyed your life yet. Have you found any support like AA, or a counsellor? I ask because we often start with great sincere intentions, but support kicks in when the motivation fades.
So far just here and my therapist as far as support goes. My wife has been a huge supporter of me which motivates me to the extreme.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there are some good AA meetings in Vegas. I've been to a few while there on the road staying sober for week-long booze fests with work.

You've made the right decision.

It's gonna get better and better and better from here.

Stick with this and these days will be faded memories for you and your family, replaced by shining memories of happiness and good times together with their father and husband who they love, respect and admire.

And who respects, admires and loves himself.

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm bothered that you are minimizing the DUI. Were you over the legal limit and driving? It's true the person you tapped may have smelled the alcohol on you and saw an opportunity, but it's also true that you were driving under the influence and the ramifications could have been tragic.

Three weeks is great. So glad you've decided to do this.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 3 weeks sober Getright
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Good for you on the 3 weeks!!!

Like, Bernie, I am a bit concerned that you minimized the recent DUI you got. Use this opportunity to learn from this mistake.

Stay the course & keep coming back for support. Many have been where you are.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I decided 3 weeks ago no more. I can't put my family through anymore crap. Myself included. I need and want to be a better father and husband. I regret so much putting my family through the gut wrenching benders
sounds like a great decision getitright

D