Notices

Hi everyone.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome strivingwoman

As others have mentioned, we cannot give medical advice here - but it seems you already know mixing benzoes and booze is not a good idea.

If you're worried about withdrawal there really is no safer way than to consult a Dr. You can walk into any ER or there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - assuming you're in the US, and there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics - NeedyMeds
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
Call 2-1-1

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all the support and the kind welcome. I have had rough few days, that is why I have not replied sooner. I will write update soon.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Okay, it seems I can't edit a "update". So I will write here what has been going on.

Saturday was completely alcohol free. Yay! . I took 0.5 mg xanax at 3 am Sunday morning as I was exhausted and really wanted to sleep, but could not calm my tremor, racing thoughts, and nausea. The xanax worked and I slept for 6 hours. Woke up feeling better than the previous day, vomited once, (tmi?), also some diarrhea. But my hands were not shaking as much. I did a lot of pacing, I have been feeling very restless, but other than that, I got through the day with no alcohol and no xanax.

Unfortunately, last night at a birthday dinner, I broke, and had 2 glasses of wine and 1 shot of vodka. I know I should be ashamed of that, but a part of me is very proud, because normally it would have turned in to two bottles. It was incredibly difficult to not continue drinking, but something bizarre happened. The waiter who knows me, sent me a bottle of water to our table, (it had not been ordered), and whispered in my ear to take it easy on the wine. I felt deeply ashamed, because he had obviously noticed my drinking habit, but I feel it was a blessing in disguise, as I was too ashamed to drink more than 2 glasses through out the night. (while everyone else was drinking their fifth, I was still sipping my watered down second glass).

I don't want to drink again, I messed up last night. Controlling myself was incredibly difficult, so the waiters perceptiveness was such a blessing.

As for today, I am feeling okay. I took 0.25 mg xanax at noon, and right now am completely sobre. My appetite is weak, and I am not sleeping well. I also feel very hyper-emotional and restless. But I know these are the most difficult days. I am going to get through this.

Again, thank you to everyone who has offered kind words. I am going to keep you updated.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here keep working on your sobriety SW it does get easier & life will get better
Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you soberwolf. It is 3.24am here now. (i live in Cyprus). And still sober, and i threw out my remaining alcohol on Saturday, so even though i admittedly am craving a drink, there's nothing here anyway. A very good thing. I'm drinking chamomile tea right now to try to relax me. At least I'm not feeling as shaky or throwing up. ��

I hope it gets easier, I admire all of you and your sobriety so much. This place is such a huge help.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

On a plus side, i am no longer waking up with red blood shot eyes. ��
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Striving woman, detox and/or withdrawal is not a pleasant experience so I feel your pain. It will pass, and you'll feel much much better. Congrats on throwing out the booze. You're young, use it to your advantage. Hang in there.