Notices

Gonna get drunk and gamble....

Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gonna get drunk and gamble....

That was the last phrase from the last phone call I had at work on Friday.

It kinda stuck with me. I'd said something like "Have a good weekend, I'm gonna log off and forget about this crap and take my daughter skiing" because it'd been a super-long and intense week with a series of very odd project and legal issues at work. I had been burned out with anxiety and going non stop from 7am to 7 or 8pm daily all week - on the back of being sick for nearly a week.

So when I said goodbye to the CEO of a company that I'd been representing and advocating and he left me with "I'm gonna go get drunk and gamble... have a good weekend".... I was kind of stunned.

I guess stunned isn't the right word. In many ways it's exactly what I'd expect. I suppose it just hit me; here was a highly successful business leader who was essentially saying "now that my emotions, mind and body are totally taxed from this hellacious week - I'm going to go and blot out all of my emotions and try to find release in a bottle".

No idea whether this guy has any sort of addiction troubles, but I'd venture a guess that it wasn't the first Friday he said "I'm gonna go get drunk and gamble".

I'm glad to be off that merry-go-round and seeing it from a perspective of curiosity and empathy rather than longing. It's increasingly odd to me; how much of our lives so many of us spend - addicts or not - lost to substances and escape.

I find being present and living life so much more rewarding.....

#soberliferocks
Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think we are especially sensitive to anything we think is addiction related, but I also know plenty of people who manage to have a drink, get a little drunk, and even gamble as a way of relaxing.

I would definitely do this if I thought I could let my hair down and have fun doing it. Of course for me...it leads to blackout drinking and 'lost' weekends. It starts creeping into my working week and I become unreliable.

I'm not saying your boss doesn't have a problem, but we can assume people are like us when they aren't.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I totally get that Jeni....

I'm just saying that I'm grateful that for me, it's not even an issue. Because even people who get a little drunk and don't have a problem....

If they're doing that with any regularity - 'problem' or not, it seems increasingly like a waste to me.

Yesterday my daughter asked me why do people drink alcohol. What a difficult question to answer to an eight year old. How do you explain to a small human who has never known the concept of having to alter her mind, shift her awareness with a toxic substance - just WHY people are consistently and powerfully drawn to suddenly one day associate the act of drinking poison with "fun"?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
It's increasingly odd to me; how much of our lives so many of us spend - addicts or not - lost to substances and escape.

I find being present and living life so much more rewarding.....
cool
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Totally agree. It takes time away from living life and the pleasure we get from simple things.

I would rather spend my weekends walking through the countryside than drunk. Well, NOW I would, though that wasn't always the case!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Well, NOW I would, though that wasn't always the case!

exactly!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

FreeOwl,

Glad you are not in that blotto place. It is very interesting to me as well that the jokes I used to utter about drinking really do not sound funny to me at all.

In truth, the only successful CEOs I have known in the last few decades who actually get blotto are the retired ones. My exposure is limited to a certain industry however. Maybe your CEO was using the statement as a sort of litmus test of sorts for future work.

Anyhow. Happy sober Saturday FreeOwl.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
FreeOwl,

Glad you are not in that blotto place. It is very interesting to me as well that the jokes I used to utter about drinking really do not sound funny to me at all.

In truth, the only successful CEOs I have known in the last few decades who actually get blotto are the retired ones. My exposure is limited to a certain industry however. Maybe your CEO was using the statement as a sort of litmus test of sorts for future work.

Anyhow. Happy sober Saturday FreeOwl.
Not my CEO - the CEO of another firm I am representing.

I suspect his comments were an exaggeration.... I agree that most CEOs are unlikely to be successful with serious alcohol problems. That said; this industry is absolutely rife with heavy drinking culture.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Glad you didn't go with him to drink and gamble--- but its amazing how we become this far to be sober that we notice things that of course we cant control but we notice little things like that is a really big problem for us cause we were like that.

CEO's have a big role on their hands though, it just as easy for them to drink on a daily basis and still keep up with all the stuff he has on his plate.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drunk= wreck health, act like a fool
Gamble= lose money

Doesn't sound fun to me.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Isn't it wonderful to be on the other side of the fence today?!