Notices

Quick Question: Too Early for PAWS?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question: Too Early for PAWS?

Hi all,

I am on my fifth taper day. I have been tapering a lot quicker than I originally planned, so today and tomorrow will be my last days, with 2 and 1 units, respectively. The first two days were pretty rough.

I have had PAWS before and have never had it so soon after detoxing. I am forgetting how to spell common words, happy one minute, then angry, then sad...severe insomnia. This morning has been rough.

Is this AWS or PAWS? Thanks for all the support I have received so far. I guys are great.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it can be PAWS if you're still drinking.

Tapering is a very tough process.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think it would be "post". Not to make light but "present WD syndrome" may be more accurate. You ARE going to feel a lot--that is a given. Best to keep an eye on BP for sure. Sleep will not be a guarantee. You know the drill. Don't hesitate to see a doc if things get rough. Best wishes on kicking alcohol in the teeth for good. Stay true to you.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I suppose each detox gets worse. I have a BP monitor, oximeter and prescribed beta blocker at home. This has been a rough one. :/ I just want to get through my taper.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you well. I tried tapering to quit and could never do it. I always ended up drinking more than I'd planned. If you can do it, kudos to you! Do get medical help if you start feeling rough during withdrawal.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just hate the whole first month in general. I don't feel any better at all until at least a month and it does seem worse every detox.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I might just quit now instead of messing with the extra few drinks but whatever you need to do. Good luck! Make sure to eat as much as you can and drink lots of water.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have always quit by tapering and always managed to stay on schedule. The problem for me has been accepting complete abstinence after the detox. This time I am ready to do that, accepting that permanent abstinence is my only choice. I no longer see abstinence as a punishment; it represents freedom.

In the back of my mind, I could never imagine life with 100% abstinence. I had a period of mourning, but now I cannot wait to be rid of alcohol addiction. It is simple. Being an alcoholic/alcohol abuser means that you are incapable of moderating, thus you cannot drink alcohol if you value your life.

This is my last detox. I never want to go through this (or drunkenness) again. In so many ways, this has been the worst detox ever.

I think I will stop the taper, but all of that depends on my withdrawal symptoms and vital signs.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's tough. Time just crawls those first weeks. I feel for you.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dave. I hope you are doing better today.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am doing better. Got off lucky. Not feeling much of an urge to drink today.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Hope your abstinence starts soon so your withdrawls pass. I had a rough 10 day or so widrawl period before I felt somewhat better but 6 weeks for the major anxiety to subside.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just to be clear, I have been tapering because I don't want to go down the benzo route. I was addicted to them at one point. In some ways, they are more enticing to me than alcohol. I don't want to start a new addiction. Ever.

I went from 8-12 units/day down to two today (haven't started yet) and it has been tough physically. Tapering is agonizing, utterly. I want to start day one, but based on how I feel, I will probably have to start abstaining on Monday. Just monitoring my BP, staying hydrated, eating well and taking my supplements. Oh yes, and checking in here so that I stay on track.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

What is your bp levels?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

117/80
Old 03-14-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me on my last self detox. Keep monitoring and make sure someone keeps an eye one you. Make sure you pull that plug tomorrow. As for staying sober, for me, this time taking even one beer is not an option. I use support here, pray, and when I have a bad day I don't keep my feelings inside.

Rooting for you!